I’m always trying to find healthier ways to cook some of Mr. K’s favorite dishes, like macaroni and cheese. This weekend, I set about making a creamy, reduced fat version using some substitute ideas I’ve come across.
I tried a few different things: Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, but in the end it was The Laughing Cow wedges that did the trick. The light cheese wedges made the macaroni and cheese quite creamy. I didn’t miss the butter or the extra cheddar cheese that is usually in the stove top macaroni cheese recipes I’ve tried.
It’s not necessarily the best macaroni and cheese recipe, but it’s much healthier and still quite tasty. The entire recipe is 1076 calories, 33 grams of fat and it serves between 2-4.
Reduced Fat Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 cups macaroni or shell pasta
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Laughing Cow light creamy swiss wedges
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup fat free milk
- Bring the saucepan to a boil and cook pasta. When finished, drain out water and place pasta back into saucepan.
- Keeping stove on low heat, add in the shredded cheese, wedges, milk, mustard powder and cayenne pepper. Stir with a spoon until cheese is melted and the rest and milk is evaporated.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.