Garlic Herb Butter Chicken with green beans is cooked on a single sheet pan in the oven for an easy weeknight meal with minimal clean-up.
This garlic and herb chicken is inspired by another version I’ve made except instead of cooking in a skillet on the stove you cook it all on a sheet pan in the oven. This sheet pan version is healthier because I reduced the amount of butter, but you still get that garlic butter flavor.
This easy sheet pan dinner is easy enough for weeknight dinners, but I also think it’s a great dish for a dinner party. I love the golden chicken with the green vegetables. It’s a very pretty presentation.
I really enjoy making sheet pan recipes because it’s nice to not have a pile of pots and pans to clean up.
This is a very simple chicken recipe, but it has lots of flavor and you can easily customize the seasonings to switch it up.
Garlic Butter Sauce
To lighten this up, I reduced the butter and added chicken broth, keeping the dish flavorful but also reducing calories and fat.
The herbs can be a blend of any you like. I used fresh rosemary, thyme, oregano and parsley for this one. Mixing and changing herbs can change the flavor of this dish, allowing you to create different variations.
You can also switch out the green beans for other vegetables, but I personally love green beans since they still stay crisp in the oven.
Keeping with the healthier theme, I used chicken breast fillets. If you want a juicier chicken, boneless chicken thighs work well for this dish as well. If you are using full chicken breasts, I do recommend that you slice them in half lengthwise to cut the thickness in half, making them easier to cook and preventing them from becoming dry.
This recipe takes about 45 minutes from start to finish, but most of that time is hands-off while the chicken and vegetables bake in the oven. I love that it’s healthier and you can serve it just as it is or you can also add another side dish, like my creamy mashed cauliflower, for a heartier meal.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
Sheet Pan Garlic Herb Chicken
- 4 (5-oz) chicken breast fillets
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp fresh herbs finely chopped (see note)
- 1 lb green beans trimmed
- additional finely chopped herbs optional, for garnish (see note)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet pan with cooking oil spray. Place chicken onto sheet pan, making sure not to overlap any of the chicken pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic, butter, broth and herbs. Stir until evenly mixed.
- Pour half of the garlic butter mixture over chicken. Place sheet pan into the oven and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Flip chicken over and add green beans. Pour remaining garlic butter sauce over green beans. Then spoon some of the the garlic butter sauce that is pooling inside the sheet pan over chicken and green beans so that everything is covered in some garlic butter sauce.
- Cook for an additional 10 minutes or until chicken is done and beans are almost cooked. Flip chicken back over. Switch oven to low broil setting and cook for approximately 5 more minutes, allowing the surface of the chicken to crisp and brown slightly and letting the beans finish cooking.
- Remove sheet pan from oven. Some of the garlic butter sauce should have browned onto the sheet pan. Use a basting brush to mix any remaining liquid with the browned areas to create a uniform brown sauce. (If you have no more liquid in your sheet pan you can add about 2 tbsp of chicken broth to the browned parts.) Brush the tops of the chicken breasts with the sauce. Garnish with additional herbs if desired. Serve warm.
- You can use any herbs you like. I used a mix of rosemary, parsley, oregano, and thyme.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.