Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
This orange chicken is cooked in the slow cooker for an easy weeknight dinner! It’s a healthier version of take-out orange chicken and all you have to do is toss the ingredients in your crockpot and let it do all the work.
I’ve made a lot of versions of orange chicken over the years as it’s one of Mr. K’s favorite dishes. I’ve done classic orange chicken, baked orange chicken, orange chicken pasta, and even orange cauliflower. But this slow cooker orange chicken is by far the easiest one.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
How to Make Orange Chicken in the Slow Cooker
- I like to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenders for this recipe. Cut them into bite-sized pieces and toss them in the slow cooker with two tablespoons of cornstarch. The cornstarch will help thicken the sauce.
- Combine chicken stock, orange juice, orange zest, minced garlic and ginger, honey, light soy sauce, and sriracha in a bowl. Pour it over the chicken in the slow cooker. Set the slow cooker for two hours.
Once you add your chicken and your sauce let the slow cooker do the rest, giving you more time to work on other things. Like, organize your kitchen drawer, clean out the fridge or binge-watch the new episodes of Gilmore Girls. I have to confess I watched them out of order. I started with the last one because I wanted to be prepared for the ending.
After two hours the orange chicken is ready to go. For an even thicker sauce I like to combine two more tablespoons of cornstarch with water and stir it into the chicken and sauce.
I paired this orange chicken with steamed broccoli, scallions, brown rice and orange slices.
We ate this for dinner the other night and nearly ate the whole pot. We did manage to save some leftovers for lunch the next day and it was equally delicious.
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breasts or tenders cut into bite sized cubes
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 tbsp orange zest
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp ginger minced
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 4 tsp sriracha sauce
- 2 tbsp + 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
Add chicken to crockpot. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp cornstarch and toss chicken to evenly coat in cornstarch.
In a small bowl, whisk together chicken stock, orange juice, zest, garlic, ginger, honey, soy sauce, and sriracha sauce. Pour sauce over chicken.
Seal your crock pot and set it to cook on high for 2 hours. After 2 hours, your chicken should be tender and sauce should be thickened. To thicken sauce even more, dissolve 2 tbsp cornstarch into 2 tbsp water, then stir completely into the sauce. Seal crock pot and cook on high for 30 minutes and sauce should be much thicker. Serve over rice and with vegetables of your choice. Garnish with chopped scallions if desired.
- To save time, you can add the raw chicken directly into the pot. However, when the chicken cooks, little pieces of the chicken will break off, so you will find small chicken piece floating in the sauce. If you wish for a more cleaner appearance, quickly pan sear the exterior of the chicken cubes first before adding them to the pot. This will reduce the amount of little pieces of chicken from breaking off during the cooking.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have. All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
Amount Per Serving (0.17 of recipe)
Calories 243 Calories from Fat 31
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3.4g 5%
Saturated Fat 0.7g 4%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.6g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.9g
Cholesterol 83.3mg 28%
Sodium 424.7mg 18%
Total Carbohydrates 25.4g 8%
Dietary Fiber 0.3g 1%
Protein 27.3g 55%
Vitamin A 1%
Vitamin C 39%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.