Tender, slow-cooked chicken simmering in a honey garlic sauce. This slow cooker honey garlic chicken is an easy and delicious meal.
These last few days my kitchen has smelled wonderful because I’ve been making pot after pot of this slow cooker honey garlic chicken. I’ve been testing out different versions trying to perfect this recipe and Mr. K has happily been eating all the leftovers.
Fall definitely snuck up on me. When I left for vacation, it was still sunny and warm. And when I returned, there was a noticeable chill in the air. Usually, September is the warmest month in San Diego, allowing me to hold on to summer just a little longer. But we had an unusually warm summer and I think that might be why it doesn’t seem like the warm weather is going to stick around through September.
So suddenly I’ve been in the mood for slow cooker recipes. This is a variation on one of my favorite dishes, Baked Honey Garlic Chicken. What I love about slow cooker recipes is that you can let your crock pot do almost all the work, freeing up your time for other things.
For this dish, the chicken simmers in a honey garlic sauce that has a little heat from sriracha. It doesn’t need to cook all day, so I like to get it ready in the late afternoon and then two hours later it’s done. I love the flavor in this dish and it’s so easy to make.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- Vegetable oil
- Minced garlic cloves
- Low-sodium chicken stock or broth
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Low sodium soy sauce
- Sriracha sauce
Chicken: You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs for this recipe.
Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown it. You don’t need to cook it completely.
Spray the inside of the slow cooker with cooking spray. Place the browned chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker and sprinkle the garlic over the top.
Whisk the chicken stock, honey, onion powder, garlic powder, soy sauce, and sriracha in a small bowl. Pour mixture over the chicken.
Spread the chicken evenly across the pot and sauce. The sauce will not completely cover the chicken.
Secure the lid and cook on low for two hours or until the chicken is cooked through.
In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the water. Stir until it’s completely dissolved. Pour the cornstarch slurry into the slow cooker and stir to combine it with the chicken and sauce. Replace the lid and cook on high heat for 30 minutes or until the sauce is thickened.
Serve the chicken and sauce over rice or cauliflower rice. I think it would be good served with cooked quinoa, too. You can also garnish with fresh scallions and white sesame seeds before serving.
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container. They will keep well for three to four days in the refrigerator.
This chicken came out tender and so flavorful since it had been simmering for hours in the honey garlic sauce. This recipe is definitely a keeper and the only adjustment I’d make is doubling it so we have more leftovers next time.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock or broth mine was 570 mg sodium per serving
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 2 tbsp water + 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Add oil to a frying pan and bring to medium-high heat over stove top. Add your chicken breast cubes and cook slightly to brown the chicken. You do not want to fully cook the chicken, you only want to sear and brown the outside. This will help bring out the flavor of the chicken and will prevent your slow cooker chicken from tasting like boiled chicken. It will also lessen the amount of white residue (that occurs when you cook the chicken) when your chicken cooks further in the slow cooker.
- Grease the interior of your slow cooker pot with a cooking spray. Add your browned chicken and sprinkle the minced garlic on top.
- In a small bowl, mix together the stock, honey, onion powder, garlic powder, soy sauce, and sriracha. Pour mixture over the chicken. Use a spatula or spoon to spread your chicken evenly across the pot and sauce. The sauce will not completely cover the chicken.
- Seal your slow cooker. Cook on low heat for 2 hours. Your chicken cubes should be completely cooked. In a small bowl, completely dissolve the cornstarch in water, using a small spoon to mix until you have a uniform white liquid. Pour into the sauce and stir it so that it spreads evenly across the sauce. Seal your slow cooker again. This time cook on high heat for 30 minutes. Your sauce should thicken. If desired, garnish with fresh scallions and white sesame seeds before serving.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.