This homemade strawberry cake is easy to make and a simple way to showcase fresh strawberries in a summer dessert.
I love fresh fruit and when berries are in season it’s so hard to resist buying a whole bunch when I see the displays at the store. Normally, we snack on fresh fruit but I get a little crazy during strawberry season and buy way more than we can eat before it goes bad.
A great way to use up a big strawberry haul is to bake with them and this easy strawberry cake is the perfect dessert to make. You need a whole pound of strawberries to make it, the batter is so simple to make and it’s so pretty once it’s baked.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Softened unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
How to Make a Strawberry Cake from Scratch
In a medium-sized bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
At medium speed, add the milk, egg, and vanilla and mix until combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low until combined.
Pour the batter into a greased pie pan. Place the strawberries, cut-side-down, on top of the batter in an even layer. Sprinkle some granulated sugar over the top of the strawberries.
Bake the cake for 10 minutes at 350°F. Lower the oven temperature to 325°F and continue baking the cake for one hour or until it’s golden brown and firm to the touch.
Cool completely before slicing and serving.
This cake is best enjoyed within a day or two of making it. Keep it tightly wrapped and it will keep for a couple of days at room temperature.
I don’t recommend freezing it because the fresh strawberries won’t be as pretty if they’re frozen in the cake and then thawed.
You can use other fresh berries to make this cake, too, like raspberries or blueberries. Sliced stone fruit like plums, peaches, or pluots would also work great.
More Easy Cake Recipes
- Snickerdoodle Crazy Cake
- 4-Ingredient Apple Cake
- Blueberry Cobbler Dump Cake
- 3-Ingredient Skinny Lemon Cake
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 lb strawberries hulled and halved
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 10-inch pie pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a stand mixer, cream the butter and 1 cup of sugar until fluffy, about three minutes. On a medium-low speed add the milk, egg, and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the bowl and, mixing on low, stir until combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared pie plate. Place the strawberries, cut side down, on top of the batter in a single layer. Sprinkle the rest of the sugar (2 tablespoons) over the strawberries.
- Bake the cake for 10 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 325°F and bake the cake for another hour or until it’s golden brown and firm to the touch. Cool the cake before slicing.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.