This strawberry cake is easy to make and a simple way to showcase fresh strawberries in a summer dessert.
I love fresh fruit and when berries are in season it’s so hard to resist buying a whole bunch when I see the displays at the store. Normally, we snack on fresh fruit but I get a little crazy during strawberry season and buy way more than we can eat before it goes bad.
A great way to use up a big strawberry haul is to bake with them and this easy strawberry cake is the perfect dessert to make. You need a whole pound of strawberries to make it, the batter is so simple to make and it’s so pretty once it’s baked.
- You can use fresh or frozen strawberries for this recipe. So, if strawberries aren’t in season you don’t have to wait. Just thaw frozen sliced strawberries, pat them dry and use them to make this cake.
- When I use fresh strawberries, I use a strawberry huller* to make the prep work easier.
- This cake isn’t baked in a cake pan. Instead, you bake it in a pie pan dish.
- The texture of the cake isn’t as light and airy as some of my favorite recipes, but it’s delicious. Just be aware that it’s denser than a regular cake.
This is such an easy cake and perfect for summer. You can serve it as a light dessert or as a snack cake.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Softened unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
In a medium-sized bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
On medium speed, add the milk, egg and vanilla and mix until combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low until combined.
Pour the batter into a greased pie pan. Place the strawberries, cut-side-down, on top of the batter in an even layer. Sprinkle some granulated sugar over the top of the strawberries.
Bake the cake for 10 minutes at 350°F. Lower the oven temperature to 325°F and continue baking the cake for one hour or until it’s golden brown and firm to the touch.
Cool completely before slicing and serving.
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 lb strawberries hulled and halved
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 10-inch pie pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a stand mixer, cream the butter and 1 cup of sugar until fluffy, about three minutes. On a medium-low speed add the milk, egg, and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the bowl and, mixing on low, stir until combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared pie plate. Place the strawberries, cut side down, on top of the batter in a single layer. Sprinkle the rest of the sugar (2 tablespoons) over the strawberries.
- Bake the cake for 10 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 325°F and bake the cake for another hour or until it’s golden brown and firm to the touch. Cool the cake before slicing.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.