These strawberry cupcakes are soft, fluffy and lightly flavored with fresh strawberries. They are so easy to make and are my go-to strawberry cupcake recipe.
I love these cupcakes. Soft, fluffy, and just a subtle taste of fresh strawberries. I made strawberry cupcakes in the past and I didn’t like them at all. The tartness of the strawberries was very apparent in the batter. These cupcakes from Fake Ginger are not like that and I’m so happy I found the recipe. I will make these strawberry cupcakes again and again.
Strawberry Cupcake Batter
What I love best about these cupcakes are that the strawberries blend well with the batter. The batter bakes up light and fluffy and so moist. The flavor reminds me of what it’s like to eat vanilla ice cream with fresh strawberries as opposed to eating strawberry ice cream. There are two distinct flavors: the lightly flavored cake and the fresh strawberries.
- The batter is made with cake flour, which makes the cupcakes very tender with a fine crumb. If you use all-purpose flour the cupcakes will have a little bit tougher texture so I don’t recommend using it in place of cake flour.
- The original recipe calls for buttermilk, but I didn’t have any so I substituted sour cream instead. Both give the cupcakes a slightly tangy flavor.
- When you add the dry ingredients to the wet ones you want to make sure you only stir until the batter is just combined. Over mixing the batter will change the texture of your cupcakes.
- Once the batter is made, fold in the chopped fresh strawberries and the cupcakes are ready for the oven.
I thought about topping my cupcakes with strawberry frosting, but the frosting would have been wasted on my family since they don’t like it. I think the cupcakes look really cute without frosting because you can see bits of red from the strawberry poking out of the cupcakes.
- 2 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup buttermilk or sour cream
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cup chopped strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare two cupcake pans.
- Sift flour, salt, and baking soda in medium bowl.
- In bowl of mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time until combined. Add buttermilk (or sour cream), oil and vanilla until combined. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in berries.
- Fill cupcake pans 3/4 way. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
More Cupcake Recipes
Ube (Purple Yam) Cupcakes | Ube is the Filipino name for purple yam and is often seen in Filipino cuisine, especially in various desserts like these cupcakes.
Oreo Funfetti Cupcakes | These funfetti cupcakes are topped with cookies and cream frosting and decorated with Oreo cookies.
Magnolia’s Vanilla Cupcakes | If you can’t get to New York to try Magnolia Bakery’s famous cupcakes you can make them at home instead. These cupcakes are light and fluffy and flavored with vanilla.