Inspired by my visit to The Donut Man, this weekend I made my own homemade strawberry donuts.
Lightly glazed donuts stuffed with fresh, juicy red strawberries– these were just heavenly.
I love how these turned out, though they were time-consuming to make. If only Donut Man was closer…I’d be there all the time.
Actually, after my initial visit, I’ve been back two more times. I really love the yeast donuts there. They stay fresh much longer than usual and since they are constantly making donuts all day and night, the donuts are still slightly crisp when you buy them.
These donuts start with my go-to glazed donut recipe. Except instead of making a hole in the middle, I kept them whole. Once they were done, I dipped them in glaze and sliced them in half. Since the original Donut Man donuts are so enormous and hard for one person to eat, I made mine smaller. It was also easier for me to fry the dough with smaller dough rounds.
Finally, I stuffed them to the brim with lightly glazed strawberries. Mmm..these were good.
Looking for more strawberry desserts? Be sure to check out some of my other favorite strawberry recipes – Strawberry Shortcake, Mascarpone Stuffed Strawberries and Nutella Cream Stuffed Strawberries! They’re easy to make and great for summer entertaining.
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries hulled
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- your favorite glazed donut recipe (see note)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp milk
- Make your doughnuts dough according to recipe instructions. Once dough is ready, form round balls about the size of a golf ball and don't cut with a donut cutter. Slowly stretch out ball and slightly flatten, so it becomes a smooth round disc.
- Heat oil in pot being used for frying. Place donuts in hot oil and fry until golden and completely cooked, flipping over when needed.
- Let donuts cool on plate. Place strawberries in a bowl and sprinkle sugar across strawberries. Let strawberries sit and macerate.
- In a small bowl mix powdered sugar with milk, adding one tbsp at a time until it reaches desired consistency. When donuts are cool, slice them in half and dip the exterior of each half into the glaze and set donuts aside.
- Slice strawberries in half. Brush with apricot jam (this creates the shiny glaze on the berries). Pile strawberries on one half of donut and then place other half of donut on top of the berries. Repeat with remaining donuts and strawberries.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.