Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats are a low carb and healthier alternative for taco night. Lean ground beef with homemade taco seasoning is stuffed into hollowed out zucchini and topped with melted cheese.
It’s fast, easy and makes a delicious meal.
With just a few more days left until Christmas, I am trying my best to still eat healthy for the next few days. These taco stuffed zucchini boats really hit the spot. Even Mr. K loved them and he usually isn’t a fan of zucchini. Most of the zucchini taste is masked with the flavorful taco meat. The zucchini is also quite sturdy even after it’s cooked, making it a great vehicle for the taco stuffing.
Mr. K and I actually made these together for lunch before finally putting up and decorating our tree. It’s finally starting to look like Christmas! I can’t wait to try other types of stuffing for these zucchini boats.
Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 lb lean ground beef I used 98% lean
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Wash and dry zucchini and cut off ends. Slice zucchini in half, lengthwise. Use a spoon to hollow out zucchini, leaving a 1/4 inch inch shell (1/4 inch around the edges and the bottom). You can save the hollowed out zucchini chunks for another recipe or add some into your taco meat mixture. Place zucchini into a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, add cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, salt, and oregano. Mix together.
- In a large skillet, add ground beef and onions. Bring to medium high heat and cook until meat is nearly done. Sprinkle with seasoning mix. Continue to cook until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the salsa.
- Fill zucchini with taco meat mixture. Place into oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until zucchini is just cooked. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Sprinkle cheese over zucchini. Place back into oven and cook an additional 5 minutes, so cheese is melted over the zucchini boats. Sprinkle scallions over zucchini before serving.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.