Zucchini Taco Boats are a low carb and healthier alternative for taco night. Lean ground beef with homemade taco seasoning is stuffed into hollowed-out zucchini and topped with melted cheese. It’s fast, easy and makes a delicious meal.
We love tacos and I enjoying trying out recipes that have taco flavors but without the tortillas. So we made these taco-stuffed zucchini boats recently and they really hit the spot.
Even Mr. K loved these taco zucchini boats and he usually isn’t a fan of zucchini. Most of the zucchini taste is masked with the flavorful taco meat. The zucchini is also quite sturdy even after it’s cooked, making it a great vehicle for the taco filling.
- Lean ground beef
- Minced onion
- Taco seasoning
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped scallions or green onions
Ground beef: I like to use 98% lean beef, so there isn’t a lot of excess grease in the taco boats. You can also use lean ground turkey or ground chicken.
Taco seasoning: You can use a packet of taco seasoning (you will need 2 tablespoons) or make your own homemade taco seasoning. I included the ingredients for my recipe in the recipe card at the end of the post.
Other topping ideas: You can serve them with sour cream, diced avocado, guacamole, black olives, or chopped cilantro. Basically, any taco topping that you like!
How to Make Zucchini Taco Boats
Slice each zucchini in half lengthwise and use a spoon to hollow out the middle. Place the zucchini boats on a prepared sheet pan.
Brown the ground beef in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and taco seasoning and cook until the meat is no longer pink. Stir in the salsa.
Fill each zucchini boat with the taco filling. Bake them for 10 minutes at 400°F and then sprinkle the cheese over the top. Bake them for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Add your favorite taco toppings for serving.
More Zucchini Recipes
- Zucchini “Crab” Cakes
- Keto Zucchini Bread
- Bang Bang Zucchini
- Zucchini Crusted Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 lb lean ground beef I used 98% lean
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Wash and dry zucchini and cut off ends. Slice zucchini in half, lengthwise. Use a spoon to hollow out zucchini, leaving a 1/4 inch inch shell (1/4 inch around the edges and the bottom). You can save the hollowed out zucchini chunks for another recipe or add some into your taco meat mixture. Place zucchini into a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, add cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, salt, and oregano. Mix together.
- In a large skillet, add ground beef and onions. Bring to medium high heat and cook until meat is nearly done. Sprinkle with seasoning mix. Continue to cook until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the salsa.
- Fill zucchini with taco meat mixture. Place into oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until zucchini is just cooked. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Sprinkle cheese over zucchini. Place back into oven and cook an additional 5 minutes, so cheese is melted over the zucchini boats. Sprinkle scallions over zucchini before serving.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.