Today I’m talking about my FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealing System and hosting a $100 Visa gift card giveaway which can help fund your purchase of one!
I started using the FoodSaver® System last year. We initially purchased it for our sous vide cooking, but soon discovered so many more great uses. The FoodSaver® brand gave me a free FoodSaver® V4865 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealing System to try out. You can learn more about the two Starter Kit models offered here.
I used to think the FoodSaver® System was mainly for freezing meat. And while we do use it to store frozen fish, chicken and steak longer and without freezer burn, my main uses are actually for my fridge and pantry items.
I tend to buy in bulk at Costco or when there’s a good deal at the farmer’s market. Then I end up with way too much produce that we simply can’t finish in time. For example, I love having fresh berries with my daily yogurt, but berries never keep more than a week before they start molding. But by vacuum sealing them, I’m actually able to keep them in my fridge a lot longer, so I can buy the big basket of sweet berries without worrying that they’ll go to waste.
Sometimes, I’ll portion them out into smaller bags, just enough for a few days worth of yogurt or acai bowl toppings.
I also like storing granola, cereal and chips in the zipper bags. You can seal them, release, and then re-seal again.
Here’s a great chart provided on the FoodSaver® Brand’s website showing how much longer you can keep food fresh and preserve nutrients by using the FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealing System. The FoodSaver® System keeps your food fresh up to 5x longer than ordinary storage methods, since ordinary storage methods trap air in with your food. FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealers remove and lock out air and moisture using specially designed bags and canisters to lock in nutrients and flavors while helping prevent freezer burn. FoodSaver® bags are also BPA free.
We hardly ever have to toss or waste food ever since getting our system. And of course, there’s the space saved! My drawers and shelves have so much more room when I vacuum seal my items.
When we first bought our FoodSaver® System, I spent nearly an entire day going around vacuum sealing nearly everything edible in my kitchen. And after seeing how much room I saved, I was tempted to start sealing stuff in my upstairs closet…
You can also use it to seal jars, though I haven’t done that yet. I do plan on making some jams later this year, so I’ll try it out then. And my basil is currently thriving, so I plan on making some pesto soon and sealing it so that it keeps longer.
We actually also used it to seal our travel liquids for our Europe trip, which prevented the leaky ones from getting all over the rest of our things. If I could, I would have been tempted to bring the whole machine with me, so that I could pack more things in my suitcase!
You can learn more about the FoodSaver® System on their website. They also have a really cool Live Fridge experiment running right now. Check it out to see the difference the FoodSaver® System can make in real time! You can also stay connected to the FoodSaver® Brand through Facebook| Pinterest| Instagram| YouTube
The FoodSaver® Brand is also running The #FoodSaverFridge Experience Live Contest
- Winners receive a FoodSaver® System valued at $200
- There are two separate ways fans may be entered into the #FoodSaverFridge contest.
1) Fans can upload an image to Instagram of their fridge organized with FoodSaver® Bags and containers, use the #FoodSaverFridge and tag the FoodSaver (@FoodSaver) Instagram handle to be entered via social.
2) Fans can also visit the FoodSaverFridge page livefridge.foodsaver.com and enter their email address.
I’m also hosting a $100 Visa gift card which can help fund your purchase towards The FoodSaver® System or its accessories. To enter the giveaway, please answer the following in the comment section:
How will you use the FoodSaver® System in your home?
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post with the hashtag #SweepstakesEntry
2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post or with the hashtag #SweepstakesEntry, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
4. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older (or nineteen (19) years of age or older in Alabama and Nebraska). Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 2 business days to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 9/24/2015 – 10/31/2015