This Italian water cake is easy to make and only requires a few pantry staples. No need for eggs or dairy. It’s the perfect cake to make when you’re running low on ingredients and you can do many variations to change the flavor.
I first came across the concept of Italian water cake a few months ago. I was intrigued by the idea of a cake using so few ingredients and without needing eggs or dairy. Little did I know how relevant the recipe would become.
I have been baking up a storm these last two weeks but trying my best to bake recipes that require few to no eggs. A few weeks ago, I made a crazy chocolate cake, which is another easy cake recipe that doesn’t need any eggs or dairy.
This cake recipe is another fun one to try if you’re looking for an eggless and dairy-free cake recipe.
The cake has a tighter crumb than most cakes. If you’re looking for a more tender crumb, I recommend you try the crazy chocolate cake instead. But I still really enjoyed this cake and have already made it a few times.
Type of Flour and Flour Tips
The traditional Italian water cake uses Italian 00 flour. However, since that is not as easily available in the US, I made it with all-purpose and it still turned out well.
I came across a few recipes that required the flour to be sifted in to make the cake fluffier. I tested it both ways and didn’t find a difference, so I would skip the sifting since it takes more time.
Cake Flavor Variations
What I love about this cake is that you can add different ingredients to create different flavors. The recipe I’m sharing today is for the basic cake plus a little bit of vanilla. But there is so much more you can do to make it more flavorful:
- ground cinnamon to make a cinnamon flavored cake
- espresso powder for a coffee-flavored cake
- lemon or orange zest for a citrus cake
Have boxed cake mix on hand? Check out how you can use it to make easy 2-ingredient cakes.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable, canola or olive oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp lemon zest optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease the interior of an 8 inch round springform cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, sugar. Whisk vigorously with a whisk until evenly combined.
- Add water, oil, vanilla and lemon zest (is using). Whisk until batter is smooth and no lumps remain.
- Pour cake batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until the surface of the cake is a light golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cake cool before slicing and serving. You can dust cake with powdered sugar if desired.
- Recipe slightly adapted from Manu's Menu
- You can make this in an 8 inch or a 9 inch cake pan. Do not use a pan smaller than 8 inches because the cake will be too thick. If you are using a 9 inch pan, your cake will be much thinner and will likely require less baking time.
- The is a very simple basic cake recipe and won't have much flavor on its own. The lemon zest does help add flavor. You can also add cinnamon for a cinnamon version, espresso powder for a coffee version or orange zest instead of lemon zest.
- Measurements are in US cups.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.