These sandwiches are made with a zucchini crusted “bread” and filled with tomato sauce, basil and mozzarella cheese. The zucchini crusted bread is toasted until the cheese is melted, for a delicious sandwich that is still healthier than traditional grilled cheese sandwiches.
I previously shared my Zucchini Crusted Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. When I was eating them, I couldn’t help but think they would taste even better if they were pizza flavored. So for my next batch, I added some tomato sauce, fresh basil and these really hit the spot.
I bought two zucchini plants for my garden and I already see blossoms. Hopefully, this means I’ll be getting zucchini soon, so I can experiment with even more zucchini recipes!
Zucchini Crusted Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 4 cups packed freshly shredded raw zucchini not yet drained (about 2 medium zucchini)
- 2 large eggs
- 10 tbsp almond flour can substitute with all purpose if not doing low carb
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 thick slices of mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup no sugar added tomato sauce
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add shredded zucchini to a large bowl and let sit 10-15 minutes. Drain excess water from zucchini bowl. Using a cheese cloth or several sturdy paper towels, add in 1/2 cup of zucchini into towel and wring dry. Repeat with remaining zucchini. When you are finished, you should have about 2 cups of zucchini remaining. It is okay that the zucchini is slightly damp. If you've made cauliflower crust before, you do not need to wring zucchini as dry as the cauliflower.
- Add in eggs, almond flour, shredded Parmesan cheese, and pepper. Mix until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Divide zucchini , evenly into four servings and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using a spatula, thin and spread out the divided batters to form four bread squares measuring1/4 inch thick.
- Bake in 450°F oven for about 15 minutes or until the surface starts to turn a light brown. Gently, using a spatula, flip breads over and cook an additional 10 minutes or until the tops of the breads are a light brown.
- Remove from oven and flip the breads again. The side on top should now be crispy. The underside will be slightly softer but this will be the inner bread sections where you will place the cheese.
- Spread two slices of zucchini bread with tomato sauce (on the softer side, not the crispier side). Place a slice of cheese each on top of each tomato spread. Place basil across. Place remaining zucchini breads on top (crispy side facing on top), to form the sandwiches. Place the sandwiches into your oven and broil for a few minutes (about 5-10) until cheese is melted and breads are toasty.
- For step by step photos showing how to make a zucchini crust check out my original Zucchini Crusted Grilled Cheese Sandwiches post.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.