Ginger snaps

So until recently, I've never eaten a ginger snap.  Nor do I know what one is supposed to taste like.  But as you can see by my blogroll, I do a lot food picture browsing on foodgawker, tastespotting and seriouseats.  And so I get to see a lot of pretty cookie pictures.  Lately, I've been seeing a lot of gingersnap cookies.

I decided to try to make them, so that I can find out exactly what one is supposed to taste like.  I found multiple different recipes, but ended up going with a recipe submitted by Elaine on allrecipes.com, called Mom's Ginger Snaps.

The recipe was easy to follow and I followed it exactly.  It was a super simple recipe that required very little prep time.  Probably one of the fastest cookie recipes I've ever done from scratch.  (I was going to make a pun here with the name, but I won't).  Here is the recipe from Elaine on allrecipes.com:

Yields: 36 cookies

Ingredients

• 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/3 cup white sugar for decoration

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

2. In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, oil, molasses, and egg.
    Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cloves, cinnamon, and ginger;
    stir into the molasses mixture. Roll dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Roll
    each ball in white sugar before placing 2 inches apart on ungreased
    cookie sheets.

3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in preheated oven, or until center is firm. Cool on wire racks.

I was super excited to see the results.  The cookies came out so pretty and round and I love how they were all crackled on top!  I've tried to get the crackling effect on my snickerdoodles and have failed to do so.  But these ginger snaps crackled perfectly.

The reviews said that the cookies were chewy on the inside and crispy on the outside.  While they were initially chewy for me straight of the oven, once they cooled, they weren't anymore.  They were just crispy cookies.  They taste great, but next time I might look to find a chewy recipe.  I do love chewy cookies.

I also now have a lot of molasses leftover…I'm going to try to make my first ever molasses cookies, something else I've never tasted before.

8 Responses to “Ginger snaps”

1. joan — August 26, 2009 at 3:37 am

wow! these look great!

2. Kirbie — August 26, 2009 at 9:58 am

I was really happy with how they came out!

3. Robin — August 26, 2009 at 11:13 am

Gingersnaps are the only cookie worthy of the name cookie. Okay, so maybe that’s a little overboard but that’s how much I love gingersnaps. A co-worker would bring them in with snickerdoodles. Since the only cookies I had ever experienced were choco chip, oatmeal, and peanut butter (and rarely since my Mom prefered making pies)I was enthralled with these. He gave me his wife’s recipe and I make them occasionally. They are so yummy and I really believe that no other cookie can compare. Those pics have triggered a craving.

4. M — August 26, 2009 at 6:39 pm

LOL. Gingersnaps are supposed to be crispy cookies; I’m a huge gingersnaps fan and have never had a chewy one. Although the thought of a chewy gingersnap is delightful.
    Whenever I fail to achieve a soft and chewy cookie that is supposed to be, I always add a tablespoon of sour cream for every cup of flour to the wet ingredients. The cookies always turn out soft and chewy, and the sour cream doesn’t impact the taste.
    I’ll try this with my next batch of gingersnaps, but probably just a 1/2 tablespoon and go from there. I’ve also never used oil in my recipes, just shortening or butter. I’ll try that next time, too. Thanks for posting.

5. Kirbie — August 27, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Wow, you really like gingersnaps! Haha. Do you have a favorite recipe?

6. Kirbie — August 27, 2009 at 5:34 pm

I thought they were supposed to be crispy! That’s how I always imagined them, but then the comments by other people who tried the recipe threw me off.

7. Wiste — September 19, 2009 at 11:47 am

Real ginger snaps are supposed to be really hard. I remember having to dunk them in milk to be able to eat them. I like chewy cookies, better, though. I made these last night using dark brown sugar rather than light brown sugar and they’re still chewy this morning. If you don’t have dark brown sugar you can try adding a little extra molasses.

8. Pingback: Ginger snaps | Online REL