If you're a regular reader, you know that I love anything matcha/green tea flavored. I feel like I've tried almost all the matcha flavored foods out there. Then I came across Une-deux senses and her recipe for matcha pancakes. Matcha pancakes! I was so excited!
Une-deux senses' recipe was for buttermilk pancakes, with matcha powder added. Unfortunately, I didn't have any buttermilk in the house and I didn't want to buy a new one because then I would have to find all these buttermilk recipes to get rid of it again. So I decided to experiment, and tried using matcha powder with a sour cream pancakes recipe.
I was worried that it wouldn't work. To my delight, they came out great. They came out a pretty pale shade of green and tasted fluffy and pancake-y, with just a hint of matcha. Yum!
Next time I have buttermilk, I'll try out Une-deux senses' recipe.
1 1/2 cups flour
3 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup + 1 tbsp milk
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons matcha/green tea powder
1. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, matcha powder and salt in a bowl.
2. In another bowl combine sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla extract.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix only until combined.
Don’t overmix the batter, or your pancake will be chewy, dense and
tough! (I love that you don't need to mix out the lumps)
4. Grease pan/skillet
5. Pour the pancake batter into the skillet and cook until bubbles appear on top and the bottom turns a light brown color.
5. Flip the pancakes over and cook for another minute or so.
6. Serve warm with your choice of toppings/sauces.