Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Challah Bread

After making the braided milk bread last week, I really wanted to try my hand at making challah bread. Challah bread is a soft, egg bread that is eaten by Jewish people during certain holidays. I’ve seen different styles of the bread, but my favorite shape is the six strand braided version.

As I set about researching how to braid the bread, I remembered that my brothers used to make challah bread all the time when they worked at a bagel store. So this first time around, I cheated, and enlisted their help. I should have taken some step by step photos, but forgot. I’ll do it next time.

The challah breads I’ve eaten have always been adorned with sesame seeds. We put some on initially, but then I didn’t like how they looked. I liked the bread better without the seeds. Also the seeds kept making a mess when I was taking pictures and kept dropping on the floor. Since I was watching little bro’s girlfriend’s adorable little puppy during this, I decided to take off all the sesame seeds, so the puppy wouldn’t eat any that fell. Of course by the time I realized the sesame seeds had made little indents in the bread, it was too late.

For the recipe, I chose this one. Since I’ve never made challah bread I didn’t want to tweak around with the recipe. The only difference is that I didn’t do the double braids. Instead we did the braids similar to this video.

The bread came out super soft. I’ve read that the bread makes good french toast so I plan on trying that. It also makes great sandwiches.

8 Responses to “Challah Bread”

Janice — January 18, 2011 @ 11:49 am

Truly jewish people eat challah all the time, especially Friday nights.

• Kirbie replied: — January 19th, 2011 @ 9:44 am

I didn’t realize that! I just know that my brothers would be making massive amounts around certain holidays

tigerfish — January 18, 2011 @ 8:04 pm

Looks like a soft moist bread I like, esp in the morning or as afternoon snack or late night supper. So versatile.

• Kirbie replied: — January 19th, 2011 @ 9:43 am

Yes, I agree, very versatile!

Rosewood — January 19, 2011 @ 8:57 pm

I would highly recommend http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/french-toast-recipe/ for a Challah French Toast recipe. This is by far and away our favorite Sunday brunch.

• Kirbie replied: — January 19th, 2011 @ 11:53 pm

Thanks for the tip! I love a lot of Alton Brown recipes so I will definitely check it out!

Jackie (Phamfatale.com) — February 16, 2011 @ 11:34 am

You did such a beau­ti­ful job braid­ing that bread. It looks beautiful…but com­pli­cated! Very impressive.

• Kirbie replied: — February 16th, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

I had help. I’m not sure if I could do it on my own. My brothers worked at a bagel store for over a year and became really good at making these.