I love watching tennis and always watch the grand slams. A few weeks ago, Wimbledon took place. If you are a tennis fan, you know that strawberries and cream is a classic treat for fans attending Wimbledon.
Inspired by the images of strawberries and cream, I decided to create a strawberries and cream cupcake. I actually made these during Championship weekend just in time for “Breakfast at Wimbledon,” which is the live broadcast of the women’s and men’s championship finals. But I didn’t get around to posting it until now.
To create the cupcakes, I used a whipped cream cake base and I swirled in fresh cut strawberries. I overdid it a little on the strawberries, so my cupcakes came out a little flat, but they were still delicious. I topped it with a whipped cream frosting to complete the strawberries and cream theme.
These cupcakes were simple, sweet, and perfect for summer. I will definitely make them again. Whipped cream cupcake base adapted from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes by Rose Levy Beranbaum.
|Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes||
- For the cupcakes
- 2 Cups Cake Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 ½ Cups Cold Heavy Cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup of strawberries, cut into small pieces
- For the frosting
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line 2 cupcake pans with liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk batter, whip the cream, starting on low speed, gradually raising the speed to medium-high as it thickens, until stiff peaks form. In another bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla until just combined.
- On medium-high speed, gradually beat the egg mixture into the whipped cream. Gradually beat in the sugar. It should take about 30 seconds to incorporate it. Then add in the flour and mix on low speed until batter is smooth. Finally, fold in the strawberries using a spatula or spoon. Pour batter about 2/3 full into cupcake liners. Bake the cake for about 15 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool on wire rack.
- While cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. Pour heavy cream and sugar into a bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on high speed until stiff peaks form. Pipe frosting on cupcakes when the cakes have cooled. Top with strawberries for garnish if desired.