Coconut cupcakes frosted with whipped cream frosting and decorated with shredded coconut are the perfect treat for anyone who loves coconut.
Coconut cupcakes have been on my to-do list for a while now. I came across a recipe from Gonna Want Seconds, and decided to check it out.
I was drawn to this recipe because it used buttermilk and had coconut extract along with coconut flakes. The frosting part also didn’t seem as daunting as most people making coconut cupcakes seem to decorate theirs with coconut flakes.
The end result was a very coconut-y tasting cupcake.
- Cake flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Softened unsalted butter
- Large eggs
- Vanilla extract
- Coconut extract
- Sweetened coconut flakes
Into a medium bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Using a hand-held mixer, cream butter, and sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time until just combined. Mix in the vanilla and coconut extract. Add buttermilk and dry ingredients, being careful not to over mix. Mix in the shredded coconut.
Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter and bake the cupcakes for 15 to 18 minutes at 350°F or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on wire racks before frosting.
For the frosting, I used a simple whipped cream cheese frosting from my strawberries and cream cupcakes and then sprinkled some shredded coconut on top.
I’m not big on frosting and I don’t particularly like whipped cream cheese frosting. I’m going to start looking and trying out some other frosting when I make cupcakes again.
More Coconut Recipes
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- Into a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Using a hand-held mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time until just combined. Add vanilla and coconut extract. Add buttermilk and dry ingredients, being careful not to over mix. Mix in the shredded coconut.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on wire racks before frosting.
- I used a whipped cream frosting found here. Then I topped each cupcake with some extra coconut flakes.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.