For the Cupcakes
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups cold heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup strawberries cut into small pieces
For the Frosting
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 tbsp granulated sugar
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 cupcake pans with liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk batter, whip the cream, starting on low speed, gradually raising the speed to medium-high as it thickens, until stiff peaks form. In another bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla until just combined.
- On medium-high speed, gradually beat the egg mixture into the whipped cream. Gradually beat in the sugar. It should take about 30 seconds to incorporate it. Then add in the flour and mix on low speed until batter is smooth. Finally, fold in the strawberries using a spatula or spoon. Pour batter about 2/3 full into cupcake liners. Bake the cake for about 15 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool on wire rack.
- While cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. Pour heavy cream and sugar into a bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on high speed until stiff peaks form. Pipe frosting on cupcakes when the cakes have cooled. Top with strawberries for garnish if desired.
Whipped cream cupcake base adapted from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes by Rose Levy Beranbaum.