It’s a week until Christmas. Can you believe it? It totally snuck up on me. I know I say that every year, but I feel like this year it really really did. I’ve had a crazy business month. And when I’ve had time off, I’ve been so tired, I don’t have the energy to do much of anything.

Normally, holiday cookie baking is one of my favorite things. I love trying out new recipes, improving on old ones. But so far I haven’t baked a single holiday cookie. Not one. I finally had some time this weekend to do a quick one.

I do plan on mustering the energy and time to bake my usual holiday goodies so I can pass them to friends and family. But I realize that I won’t be able to blog about them on the blog before Christmas for anyone looking for inspiration or ideas, like I have in year’s past. So at the end of this post, I’m sharing some of my holiday favorites from previous years.

Now onto these red velvet cookies. I like making these during the holidays because they are so festive.  For this version, I decided to make them extra big and with a nice Nutella center. Because my goal is to stuff Nutella into everything. (I’m half kidding.)

I loved the Nutella center. The cookies came out great. Crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside. I haven’t yet made red velvet cookies from scratch before. One of these years I do want to. These use a red velvet cake mix to start off with. It makes them super easy to  make, especially if you are pressed for time. The recipe is at the bottom of the post.

Here are some of my other holiday favorites:

Green Tea Shortbread Cookies

Stained Glass Christmas Tree Cookies

Gingerbread men

Green Tea sugar cookies

Soft sugar cookies

Pecan Russian Tea Cakes

Hazelnut Russian Tea Cakes

Print Print Save Save

Nutella filled red velvet cookies

Yield: 12 large cookies

Prep Time: 15 mins

Cook Time: 10 mins

Total Time: 25 mins

One box of Duncan Hines red velvet cake mix
2 eggs
Halfway between 1/3 and 1/2 cup of oil
1 cup chocolate chips
Nutella for filling

1. Prep baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, mix the eggs, cake mix and oil. Once the batter is thoroughly combined, stir in the chocolate chips.
2. Take large spoonful of dough (about an ice cream scoop worth), flatten out. Place 1/2 tablespoon of Nutella in middle of cookie dough. Then pinch closed, form into ball and place on cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining cookies, spacing about 2 inches apart.
3. Bake for approximately 10 minutes. Cookies are finished when you can slide them, without the bottoms sticking to the baking sheet. Best served while warm.

18 Responses to “Nutella filled Red Velvet Cookies and other Holiday Cookies”

1. Kay — December 19, 2011 at 6:42 am

Nutella + Red Velvet = 2 of my favorites!

• Kirbie replied: — December 19th, 2011 @ 9:18 am

Me too!

2. Ann P. — December 19, 2011 at 11:39 am

Wow, you did awesome! I’m sure that if I tried to stuff nutella inside cookie dough, it would definitely not turn out so beautifully! :)

• Kirbie replied: — December 19th, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

Aw, I’m sure yours will be just as pretty!

3. caninecologne — December 19, 2011 at 8:32 pm

omg, i must try making this! it looks so beautiful and i have so much Nutella lying around! :)

• Kirbie replied: — December 19th, 2011 @ 10:18 pm

Yes you should try it! I was afraid it might not work because the cookies are usually pretty thin, but it still worked. I couldn’t find the cool green swirl sprinkles so I had to dress these up somehow..

4. Claire — December 20, 2011 at 8:11 pm

yum! baking mine right now and i stuffed it with nutella cream cheese frosting. so excited to give it away to people! thanks for the recipe!

• Kirbie replied: — December 21st, 2011 @ 10:30 am

Oh that sounds delicious!

5. Carol — December 21, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Those are beautiful and so easy! And just think of other possibilities for the filling.

• Kirbie replied: — December 21st, 2011 @ 10:15 pm

I know! It’s endless. I saw a few bloggers do a cream cheese filling.

6. Danielle — February 16, 2012 at 10:08 pm

An easy way to fill nutella into a cookie is by freezing it. Get a plastic baggie and fill it with nutella. Flatten it out and put it in the freezer. Once completely frozen, take it out and cut it into pieces. Place it in the cookie. It so much easier because the nutella doesn’t squirt out.

• Kirbie replied: — February 17th, 2012 @ 9:24 am

Thanks for the tip. Though I didn’t find it too hard to fill the cookies. I’ve used the freezing method to make “Nutella chips” like chocolate chips though and those were yummy when added to cookies!

7. Ashley — March 27, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Thank you so much for your recipe!
    I just made two batches of these :)
    and they taste amazing!

• Kirbie replied: — March 28th, 2012 @ 10:15 am

So glad you like them!

8. Mai — May 18, 2012 at 4:15 am

What is the substitute of One box of Duncan Hines red velvet cake mix? Can i use red velvet cupcakes batter that i make it my own? Thanks for the recipe btw. Its so cool coz i love red velvet n nutella :D

• Kirbie replied: — May 18th, 2012 @ 10:37 am

Um, it probably wouldn’t work with red velvet cupcake batter since that already has eggs and butter/oil and liquids added to it. I honestly dont know what the substitute would be. I think it would be easier just to buy the cake mix box.

9. caninecologne — December 16, 2012 at 11:00 pm

hi kirbie – okay, it’s one year after my original comment. I will definitely make this stuffed version this week! i still have some Nutella (I went crazy last year at Costco because we had a coupon) so this would be perfect! The Red Velvet DH cake mix was on sale at F&E too. I should pick up some more boxes! You have the best and easiest cookie recipes!

• Kirbie replied: — December 16th, 2012 @ 11:49 pm

I hope you like it. It’s basically the oil and egg one but also with Nutella in the middle. Hmm, it might be a little hard for you if you don’t like touching dough though. Maybe TC can help?