As you can tell, after discovering I can make cake with Coca-Cola, I got a little obsessed with recipes using soda. I came across these 7-Up Biscuits on Extreme Personal Measures.

The biscuits use Bisquick mix, sour cream and 7-Up to create fluffy and soft biscuits.

It took almost no time to mix everything together. However, when I was pressing the biscuit dough into my baking pan, I barely had enough dough to go around. It did rise in the oven enough so that they became fluffy biscuits, though mine didn’t look anything like the ones on Extreme Personal Measures.

But I loved the taste. Very soft, fluffy, and buttery. I don’t usually like biscuits made with Bisquick, but these were good. I tried making a second batch in a loaf pan hoping they would rise higher. They did. But I actually preferred the taste and look of the flatter biscuits.

I actually didn’t have any 7-Up so I used ginger ale instead. It still worked, though maybe it’s the reason why mine didn’t look like others. I left the name as 7-Up Biscuits because I think it sounds cooler.

This is a great quick and easy biscuit recipe and I’d definitely make it again. I originally found the recipe on Extreme Personal Measures, but it’s apparently all over the internet and I’m not sure of what the original source is because none of the blogs I came across stated the original source, but all had the same recipe. So here it is, with some of my notes.

Print Print Save Save

7-Up Biscuits

2 cups Bisquick
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup 7-up (or other similar soda beverage. I used ginger ale)
1/4 cup melted butter

1. Preheat oven to 450F. Prepare a 9 x 9 baking pan. If you want taller and bigger biscuits, use a 9 x 5 loaf pan instead or double the recipe ingredients.
2. Mix Bisquick, sour cream and 7-Up in a large bowl. Melt butter and pour into the baking pan. Press dough into pan, spreading evenly across. For a 9 x 9 pan, it will barely spread across.
3. Bake for approximately 15 minutes until golden brown. If you use a smaller pan, it will take longer, approximately 20-25 minutes.

14 Responses to “7-Up Biscuits”

1. Manda — May 24, 2012 at 8:20 am

These ingredients are similar to a Popeye’s biscuit copycat recipe. Maybe that’s where it came from? I know the last time I made those Popeye’s-esque biscuits, I took a longcut and made my own flour mix because I didn’t have any Bisquick on hand.

• Kirbie replied: — May 24th, 2012 @ 8:41 am

I saw some posts refer to them as popeye biscuits too. I havent had a popeye biscuit so I dont know how the taste compares. I just know I like these!

2. Manda — May 24, 2012 at 9:51 am

IIRC, the copycat Popeye’s biscuit recipe is pretty close to the ones from the restaurant. Just up the melted butter on top and voila! I did learn to use name branded 7Up/Sprite – I bought a store brand can of lemon-lime soda and it had this horrid chemical aftertaste and smell that regular 7Up didn’t.

• Kirbie replied: — May 24th, 2012 @ 1:22 pm

Ah, good to know about the sodas!

3. Ann P. — May 24, 2012 at 10:55 am

Whenever my grandpa comes to visit, he always insists on having Popeye’s for lunch, expressly for their biscuits. I would love to make these for him!

• Kirbie replied: — May 24th, 2012 @ 1:21 pm

You should def try these then!

4. Paula — May 25, 2012 at 8:15 am

It sounds good!! Is it like a crunchy big cookie, or is most as a beer bread?? Perhaps it’s not similar to anyone of them, but I find the recipe, and the look similar to a beer bread, or scones, but not the textures of scones…
    I can’t imagine if it’s more as a salty biscuit, or a sweet one.

Yeah… Solution is to mix and bake!! And I bought Bisquick in an american shop I love, but then, never use it!

• Kirbie replied: — May 25th, 2012 @ 8:42 am

It does have a beer bread appearance, though the texture and taste is definitely Biscuit. Similar to restaurant biscuits from fast food restaurants. And it’s definitely salty, not sweet. Hope you like it!

5. Sara — July 17, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I made these tonight to serve with sausage gravy, and I used gluten free Bisquick. Absolutely delicious! I did it a little differently, I actually kneaded the dough once mixed, rolled it out on parchment paper, and cut round biscuit. Very simple, and so so good!

• Kirbie replied: — July 17th, 2012 @ 2:39 pm

Sounds good!

6. Janet — October 4, 2012 at 7:51 am

What does the sour cream do for it? I envision something decadent and rich.

• Kirbie replied: — October 4th, 2012 @ 8:28 am

I think it makes them more moist and fluffy.

7. Mari — October 5, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I love this recipe, the only thing I did different was to use a round cake pan (8″) and I put the butter in the pan, slipped it in the oven for a few minutes to let it melt and heat the pan up. This made the biscuits a little bit thicker with a buttery crunch and I sliced it like cornbread or pie. We love them with gravy or just jelly. yummy quick recipe. thsnks

• Kirbie replied: — October 6th, 2013 @ 7:19 am