I love eating eggs for breakfast. Or any time of the day really. I came across a recipe for mini frittatas on Family Fun. They remind me of mini omelettes because you  have an egg base, and then you fill it with whatever mix-ins you desire. I chose shredded cheese, bell peppers and bacon. Mmm bacon.

These were really easy to whip up and I like how versatile they are with the fillings. They were initially puffy but sank down and became kind of wrinkled and shriveled after they cooled which is too bad. They don’t look so pretty but they taste great.

When I was adding in the mix-in ingredients, they kept sinking in and disappearing into the liquid egg batter. But once they baked, the ingredients rise to the surface, adding some color to the frittatas.

I need to figure out a way to keep them from shrinking so much, but other than that, I loved these. The original recipe makes them the size of cupcakes, and it looks like there wasn’t as much shrinkage. I’ll have to play around with the recipe some more. But I’ll definitely make these again. I couldn’t stop popping them into my mouth.

These would be perfect for brunch or for a portable on-the-go breakfast.

Print Print Recipe

Mini Frittatas

Yield: 10 mini frittatas

Prep Time: 10 mins

Cook Time: 15 mins

Total Time: 25 mins

4 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
Assorted mix-ins (I used shredded cheese, finely chopped cooked bacon, finely chopped bell peppers)

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease about 10 molds of mini muffin pan.
2. Whisk together the eggs, milk, and salt in a medium bowl, then evenly distribute the egg mixture among the muffin cups.
3. Add about 1 tablespoons of mix-ins to each cup.
4. Bake the frittatas until they are puffy and the edges are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Loosen with knife and serve warm.

Slightly adapted from Family Fun

10 Responses to “Mini Frittatas”

1. Bobbi — May 1, 2012 at 11:29 pm

I love eggs too… make frittata’s often enough… I love carmelized onions, mushrooms & red pepper with a little mozzarella on mine… or zucchini, carrot and onions… yumz

• Kirbie replied: — May 2nd, 2012 @ 10:03 am

Your mix-ins sound good!

2. Rachel — May 2, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I should try this! I wake up hours before my own “FH” (who can’t cook a lick) and spend the morning working, so he always goes out for breakfast. I bet he could pop these in the microwave and save us some money!

• Kirbie replied: — May 2nd, 2012 @ 1:05 pm

Yes! Definitely check these out. So easy to make and you can bring them on the go, reheat, etc. My FH can’t cook either. haha.

3. Kyla Holt — February 10, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Just made these. Now, I’m no cook. <— I mean, seriously ill-equipped for housewife duties, but these were easy. Directions are fantastic. I used turkey sausage, red, yellow and orange bell peppers and mexican shredded cheese…

They. Are. Fantastic.
    Thanks for the recipe! They were so good, I doubled the recipe and made another batch!

• Kirbie replied: — February 11th, 2013 @ 9:49 am

Yay! so happy you had positive results!

4. Ruth — May 26, 2013 at 7:59 am

Try beating the egg yolks and the white separately, making the whites quite stiff, then folding the two together. Should hold the shape better.

• Kirbie replied: — May 27th, 2013 @ 5:33 am

Thanks for the tip!

5. Natalie — October 16, 2014 at 4:44 pm

The list of ingredients says milk but then the instructions say half and half. Which one did you use or does it not matter?

• Kirbie replied: — October 16th, 2014 @ 10:35 pm

Sorry about that. it should read milk, but I think it should work with either