Monday, March 11, 2013

Magic Custard Pie

I was immediately intrigued when I saw the title of this recipe.

It’s a custard pie that takes only minutes to assemble. You know how I love my easy recipes.

The magic comes when it’s baking. To make the recipe, you simply throw a bunch of ingredients into a blender. Then you put it in a pie pan and bake it. While it’s baking, the flour from the ingredients sinks to a bottom, separates from the custard and creates a pie crust. So when it’s done, the pie magically has a crust.

There’s actually quite a few versions of this recipe currently floating across the web. Some versions end up with a three layer cake, but it takes more steps to get the three layers.

I chose to do this 2 layer version because it was so darn easy. It came out just as promised.

It was a little difficult getting the crust layer off of the pan, so I definitely recommend making sure your pie pan is well greased. Next time I might add some coconut flakes, a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg, to spruce it up because it is a little plain. But the recipe is definitely a keeper for when you need to make a quickie dessert.

You can find the recipe here. My only change was that I didn’t have margarine, so I used butter in place of margarine.

14 Responses to “Magic Custard Pie”

Mary — March 12, 2013 @ 7:04 am

Huh, this sounds so interesting! I, too, would probably add a few additional spices to spruce it up, it does sound a bit plain. But I’m totally curious about the magic crust, I want to try it.

• Kirbie replied: — March 12th, 2013 @ 8:38 am

I really enjoyed it. It tasted like your basic custard pie. Except my pie crust stuck to the bottom. But I think that was mainly my own fault for not greasing it enough first.

koy — March 14, 2013 @ 12:38 am

Do u need to melt butter first ? can use straight from the fridge or at room temperature..Thanks in advance..I’m very keen on it!

• Kirbie replied: — March 14th, 2013 @ 3:53 pm

I did room temp. Though it might depend on how powerful your blender is.

Colette | JFF! — March 21, 2013 @ 8:25 am

Butter instead of margarine is brilliant!

• Kirbie replied: — March 21st, 2013 @ 10:02 am

Haha, I prefer using butter over margarine. =)

Michelle — April 16, 2013 @ 4:23 pm

Hi Kirbie did you cool this at room temperature before you consumed it? Or did you cool it in the fridge?

• Kirbie replied: — April 16th, 2013 @ 11:25 pm

I cooled it at room temperature

Thomasina — June 20, 2013 @ 1:45 pm

Butter–so glad I found this! I am making this for the first time tonight. A co-worker asked I made egg pie,after I told him I LOVE doing peach pie–he didn’t WANT that. So this is out of my wheelhouse–looks good and easy. I’ll be back to tell you how it goes… :)

• Kirbie replied: — June 20th, 2013 @ 2:55 pm

Hope you like it!

Thomasina — June 22, 2013 @ 8:12 am

Well, I got the pie made. Although I had a couple of adventures along the way from realizing I thought I had a glass pie pan and I really didn’t, to almost using alot more butter than I should :) I did add 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon to the filling. The co-worker liked the looks of it, as he took it home. I await his verdict.

• Kirbie replied: — June 22nd, 2013 @ 10:43 pm

I hope your coworker appreciated your efforts!

Thomasina — June 23, 2013 @ 7:00 am

Seems like I may won’t found out for definite sure until tomorrow at work :( However, I saw my co-worker posted my pie on his Instagram page and loved it–so all good!

Also, I have horrible luck with blenders–I somehow break them–I mixed up my pie with a hand mixer.

• Kirbie replied: — June 23rd, 2013 @ 9:30 am

Instagram photos are usually a good sign =)