- 4 medium sized apples
- 1 (9-inch) premade pie crust
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 egg whisked (for egg wash)
- Slice off tops of apples. Using a small, sharp knife, hollow out the center of the apples, leaving about 1/4- 1/2 inch on the sides. Save the flesh to be used for filling.
- Dice the removed apple flesh into small cubes. You should have about 1 cup worth when you are done. Make sure not to include seeds, skin, or any of the core.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Dissolve cornstarch in water. In a small pot on stove, combine 1 cup diced apples, cornstarch mixture, cinnamon and white sugar and cook for about 5 minutes until apples are soft and syrup is brown and thick. Add apple pie filling to each of the hollowed out apples.
- Slice pie crust into 1/2 inch wide strips, long enough to be laid across the surface of the apple with a little extra hanging off of each side. Lay about 3 strips on the apple and then take 3 more strips and weave with strips already in place (I forgot this step which is why my lattice crust is not perfectly woven).
- Brush pie crust with whisked egg wash. Bake for about 20 minutes until crust is golden and apples are softened. Drizzle with salted caramel sauce and top with ice cream if desired.
Recipe adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction