I love banana bread, but when I develop a craving for it, it takes a while to satisfy. I have to mash some bananas, bake for an hour, let it cool, etc. But not anymore.
Banana cake is possible in just a few minutes.
Someone requested I try making this cake, but I didn’t get a chance to try creating it until now, after being given some lovely organic bananas from Organics Unlimited . This cake came out light and fluffy with a flavor of bananas and cinnamon.
When I added egg yolk to the batter, it turned the cake quite yellow. I worried it would affect the taste, but it didn’t taste too eggy.
I even lightened the cake a little by replacing by eliminating the oil with some nonfat yogurt and nonfat milk. Though I haven’t figured out how to make it as light as some of the other mug cakes I’ve altered.
Like all the other mug cakes I’ve made, this one was easy to make.
A little more information about the bananas. Organics Unlimited is a woman-owned company that grows organic bananas for their brand GROW. The bananas are grown in Mexico and a portion of proceeds is donated to their GROW fund which helps fund health, dental and educational programs for Organics Unlimited workers and their families. You can read all about the young company on their website. I didn’t detect too much of a difference in taste for the bananas, but I do love that they are organic.
Banana Mug Cake
- 5 1/2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp greek strained nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp nonfat milk
- 3 tbsp mashed bananas about 1/2 of a banana, keep in mind 1 tbsp mashed banana is more than 1 tbsp of a piece of banana before it's mashed
- Mix all ingredient into an oversized mug until batter is smooth (make sure to get the flour that sticks to the bottom). Cook for about 1 1/2 minute in microwave.
- Check for doneness. If inside is done, cake is done even if outside appears slightly wet/gooey. Let cake cool before eating.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.