Beef and Broccoli Rice Meal Prep
This is a fun twist on beef and broccoli, serving the stir-fried beef with broccoli rice instead of florets. It’s an easy low carb meal that can be made ahead of time for your weekly meal prep in less than 30 minutes.
While I usually make cauliflower rice for my weekly meal prep, I wanted to change things up by using broccoli rice. And when I think of broccoli, I almost always think of the classic beef and broccoli. This is a great way to serve beef and broccoli without the rice.
How to Make Broccoli Rice
- Broccoli rice is easy to make. All you do is finely chop broccoli to the size of grains of rice. You can either use the whole floret or just the stem. I prefer using just the stems. You can chop by hand or in a food processor or blender.
- No time to chop? Some stores also carry pre-chopped broccoli rice. For today’s recipe, I used Trader Joe’s broccoli rice.
- Once the broccoli is finely chopped, you simply saute it with some oil and garlic and season with salt. Then it’s ready to serve!
Tips for Tender Beef
- For the beef, I usually use ribeye or flank steak.
- Make sure to slice it thinly against the grain.
- The beef is coated in cornstarch. The cornstarch provides a protective coating around the meat, which keeps the meat from getting tough when cooked. This is the technique Chinese restaurants use to cook beef.
Some low carb diets do not permit cornstarch. However, this entire recipe (which serves 4) only uses 2 teaspoons total so the small amount may be permitted depending on the diet you are following. If you absolutely cannot use cornstarch then I recommend using a premium tender cut of beef (like filet mignon) to start with since you won’t have the cornstarch to tenderize it.
- 1 lb flank steak thinly sliced against the grain, about 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups broccoli rice
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
Place beef into a large bowl. Sprinkle with cornstarch. Toss beef until it is evenly coated. Add in soy sauce. Toss beef until evenly coated.
Add 1 tbsp oil into a large skillet and bring to medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add in 2/3 of the garlic. Cook garlic until lightly browned. Add in broccoli.
Cook broccoli until tender. If skillet gets too dry, add in a few tablespoons of water. Season with salt. Remove broccoli rice and place into meal prep containers.
Add remaining oil and garlic to skillet. Bring skillet to medium-high heat. Add in the beef. Cook beef a few minutes on one side before flipping and cooking the other side. If needed, you can season with more salt or soy sauce. When beef is just about done, add in scallions and remove from heat.
Divide beef into meal prep containers. When food has fully cooled, seal containers and store in fridge or freezer.
- Some low carb diets do not permit cornstarch. However, this recipe uses a very small amount (about ½ tsp per serving), so it may be okay depending on the diet you are following.
- If you cannot use cornstarch at all, then I recommend using a premium tender cut of beef, like filet mignon, since you won’t have the cornstarch to keep the meat tender.
- I use these Meal Prep Containers*
- *Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have. All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Beef and Broccoli Rice
Amount Per Serving (0.25 of recipe)
Calories 266 Calories from Fat 117
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3g19%
Vitamin A 560IU11%
Vitamin C 109.1mg132%
Net Carbs 7g14%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.