Big and Fluffy Baked Buttermilk Pancakes
These giant buttermilk pancakes are baked in the oven so you don’t have to stand over the stove flipping pancakes all morning. Plus, these fluffy pancakes only take 30 minutes start to finish and make for a fun brunch presentation.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
A few weeks ago, I shared my baked buttermilk pancake muffins recipe. I’ve made this several times and we love how tender the pancakes come out. So of course, my next idea was to go big!
I love giant pancakes as evidenced by my giant rice cooker pancake and giant instant pot pancake.
How to Make Fluffy Baked Buttermilk Pancakes in Cake Pans
While those are more Japanese-style pancakes, this baked pancake recipe is closer to the taste of classic American buttermilk pancakes. I also like how easy they are to make. No need for fancy tools. You just need a springform cake pan and an oven.
- It’s as simple as mixing together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, buttermilk, eggs, and oil to make the pancake batter.
- For giant pancakes, pour the batter into a 7-inch springform cake pan* or 4-inch springform cake pans* for smaller individual-sized pancakes.
- Bake the large pancakes for 20 minutes or the smaller ones for 16 minutes. Start to finish, you can have homemade buttermilk pancakes in about 30 minutes!
- Serve the pancakes with all of your favorite toppings like maple syrup, fresh fruit, whipped cream or melted butter.
These fluffy pancakes are so easy you may never go back to the stovetop version again. I love the giant pancakes that you can slice and serve, but I actually like the slightly smaller ones better as they remind me of Japanese hotcakes. (Okay, I think I may have a pancake obsession.)
I am so ready for the long weekend. I plan on doing a lot of eating, brunching and resting. And these giant buttermilk pancakes are on the list!
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 ½ cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp canola oil
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease three 7-inch springform cake pans (for giant pancakes) or six 4-inch springform cake pans (for personalized sized pancakes) with cooking oil spray.
In a large bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Whisk until well combined. Add in buttermilk, eggs and oil. Whisk until only small lumps remain. Be careful not to over-mix the batter.
Pour in 2 cups of batter for the 7-inch pan. Pour in 1 cup of batter for the 4-inch pan. Use a spatula to scrape down any leftover batter coating the measuring cup and add it into your pans so that the cake pans get the full 1 cup or 2 cups of batter. Bake 7-inch cakes for about 20 minutes and 4-inch cakes about 16 minutes or until cakes are done. Cakes are done when they start pulling away from sides, the surface is firm and a knife inserted comes out clean. Serve with syrup, fresh fruit, whipped cream, melted butter or other pancake toppings of your choice.
- I used Wilton 4-inch springform pans* and Gabkey 7-inch springform cake pans*.
- If you don't have multiple cake pans, you can always make half the recipe or you can wait for the first round of cakes to finish cooking and then reuse the same cake pans.
- You can use other sizes of springform cake pans. Just try to keep the batter level in the cake pan to be about 1 inch or just slightly above one inch. Anything more than 1 inch will be too thick and your pancake will take too long to cook all the way through.
- *Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
- Nutrition estimate is for 6 four-inch cakes.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have. All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Big and Fluffy Baked Buttermilk Pancakes
Amount Per Serving (1 4-inch pancake)
Calories 481 Calories from Fat 108
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12g 18%
Saturated Fat 3g 15%
Cholesterol 72mg 24%
Sodium 467mg 19%
Potassium 366mg 10%
Total Carbohydrates 77g 26%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Protein 13g 26%
Vitamin A 5.1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Sheet Pan Pancakes