This is my favorite go-to blueberry muffin recipe. It’s an easy recipe that produces muffins bursting with blueberries and topped with plenty of streusel.
With blueberries in season, it is the perfect time to make these muffins. Though really, they are great to make year-round. The batter comes together in just a few minutes and tastes so much better than store-bought muffins. The muffins are moist and fluffy from all the blueberries. They are finished with a crunchy sugary streusel topping. I just love muffins with streusel topping.
Baking with Fresh vs Frozen Blueberries
I used fresh blueberries for this recipe, but you can also substitute frozen blueberries. Frozen blueberries are especially nice to use when blueberries aren’t in season. They are frozen at their peak ripeness so they are sweet. Out of season blueberries are often too tart. Depending on where you live, blueberries are usually in season during July and August.
Streusel is a crumbly topping made with sugar, flour, butter, and cinnamon. The key is to use cold butter that’s cubed. You can use a fork or your hands to cut the butter into the flour and sugar until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is evenly distributed. Sprinkle the streusel over the top of the muffin batter and the muffins come out of the oven with a sweet and crunchy topping.
I could eat these blueberry muffins all day long. This was the first recipe I ever tried and even though I’ve tried many other recipes over the years, this one is still my favorite. If you want to try a twist on these muffins you might like my Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins, too.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter cubed
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
- To make the muffin batter, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full.
- To make the streusel topping, Mix together the sugar, flour, butter, and cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking. (I mixed with fork and then mixed with my hands, pressing the mixture together and then rubbing it between my fingers to make it crumbly). Sprinkle the streusel over the top of the muffin batter.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
More Blueberry Muffin Recipes
Avocado Blueberry Muffins | Avocado and blueberry flavored muffins with plenty of streusel topping. These muffins are a twist on traditional blueberry muffins and are a great addition to your weekend brunch.
Low-Calorie Blueberry Muffins | Fresh blueberry muffins that are low in calories. This is an easy one bowl recipe that produces fluffy delicious low-calorie blueberry muffins.
Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins | Part muffin part coffee cake these blueberry coffee cake muffins pair perfectly with a cup of coffee.