I’m always obsessed with finding new and quick recipes. I recently came across a savory sour cream quick bread recipe which looked promising and also allowed me to lighten up the recipe by using Greek strained yogurt instead of sour cream.
This bread is very simple to make. You just need one bowl and you stir everything by hand. It reminded me of making my Cheese Beer Bread though there’s no beer in this recipe.
The Greek strained yogurt makes the bread very moist and also reduces the calories and fat content.
Overall, I liked this bread but didn’t love it. I was hoping for a texture more like a yeast bread, and this one isn’t. I might try the sour cream version next time and see if it is different.
Cheese and Yogurt Quick Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup plain nonfat Greek strained yogurt
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 9- x 5-inch loaf pan with PAM spray or grease pan with oil/butter.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the grated cheese. Add in the milk, yogurt, melted butter and egg. Stir until everything is combined but don't overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until the loaf is golden and knife inserted comes out clean. Let bread finish cooling in pan before serving.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.