When cherries are in season during the summer, I love to make this simple cherry cake. The batter takes just minutes to make and it’s a great way to feature fresh cherries in a dessert.
I bought a few too many cherries and decided to make this cherry cake that’s so easy to make and tasty. I love easy recipes, especially when they involve fruit so that the fruit can really shine through.
Baking with Fresh Cherries
- I love to take advantage of fresh cherries when they are in season during the summer and have used them to make my mini Cherry Clafoutis, Cherry Ice Cream and Mini Cherry Almond Cakes. Now I have this simple cherry cake to add to the rotation!
- Fresh cherries are great in desserts because their tartness balances really well with sugar and rich ingredients like butter and cream.
- Cherries will keep in the refrigerator for up to five days, so it’s a good idea to use them up within that timeframe. It’s also a good idea to avoid washing them until you are ready to use them otherwise, they might not keep as long.
- For this recipe, you need to pit the cherries before adding them to the batter. I like to use a cherry pitter* to make this task easier.
Once the cherries are prepped you can make the cake batter in a matter of minutes. I love how the cherries are studded throughout the cake. The cake has a tight crumb, similar to the Strawberry Cake I made a few months ago. It’s a very simple cake that is great to serve alongside tea or coffee.
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
- 200 gm fresh whole cherries pitted.
- 100 gm butter
- 120 gm icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 150 gm all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 9-inch tart pan.
- Cream butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs gradually. Add in vanilla.
- Sift flour with baking powder and fold into the beaten batter.
- Spread out the mixture onto prepared pan and place cherries on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden. When cake has cooled, dust with icing sugar before serving.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.