As I settle back into reality, I’ve been trying to take things easy in order to maintain the relaxation glow from vacation for as long as possible.
I originally wanted to make another dessert, but I ended up going with something simpler. Two mugs, minimal cleanup, ready in about 5 minutes.
I’ve made mug cakes before, a Nutella version. This time I decided to try just a regular chocolate mug cake. I worried that the batter would be too dry. The Nutella version has always been moist, so I added a little more oil and milk to compensate.
The cakes didn’t rise as much as my Nutella version did. I think next time I’ll add some more baking powder. These cakes were cooked in just a little over a minute. They tasted best while still warm. It was a perfect treat to end my night.
Chocolate Mug Cake
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 4 tbsp white granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 1/2 tbsp milk
- splash of vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 tbsp oil
- Combine all ingredients in a large coffee mug. Whisk well with a fork until smooth. Pour half of batter into another mug.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute (cook each mug one at a time). Check to see if done. If it needs longer, cook for an additional 30 seconds. Mine was done at 1 1/2 minutes. You don’t want to overcook it or it will become rubbery. You also want to keep in mind that the cake will continue to cook a little in the cup while it is cooling. Cool for a few minutes before eating while warm.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.