Quick and easy Nutella mug cakes that cook in the microwave in less than two minutes! These mini cakes taste as good as a cake baked in the oven but are faster and perfectly sized for one person.
Mug cakes have been on my radar for over a year now and the idea is pretty neat. You combine all the ingredients in a large mug, cook it in the microwave for a few minutes, and out comes a delicious cake.
The cleanup and prep time are both minimal. I think start to finish the process took me less than 10 minutes and that includes the time it took to gather all of the ingredients together.
I’ve done a lot of research and based on other recipes I’ve seen (and the comments from readers) some mug cakes are dry, but this Nutella mug cake recipe I’m sharing is so moist and rich. The texture is just like a cake that is baked. I couldn’t tell that it was made in a microwave and I can’t believe it was cooked in the microwave for less than two minutes.
Update: Since sharing this mug cake I’ve made so many more! Be sure to check out my post all about my favorite mug cake recipes for more inspiration.
Easy Nutella Mug Cake
- This recipe makes one large mug cake or you can split the batter into two smaller mugs to make two cakes. One cake is quite large and definitely enough to serve two people.
- Be sure to mix the ingredients thoroughly. If you have a small whisk you can combine them in the mug or mix them in a separate small bowl and then pour the batter into your mug.
- If you make two cakes, be sure to cook them one at a time.
- I recommend cooking your cake for 1 ½ minutes to start. Check it and if it is not done, continue to cook it in 30-second intervals. You don’t want to overcook the mug cake otherwise the texture will be rubbery.
I’ve made this recipe several times and I think the cake tastes great plain, but you can also add a topping. Whipped cream, chocolate syrup, salted caramel sauce or even a scoop of ice cream work great and make the cake extra decadent.
More Mug Cakes
Nutella Chocolate Mug Cakes
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 4 tbsp white granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 tbsp Nutella
- 3 tbsp milk
- splash of vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- Combine all ingredients in a large coffee mug. Whisk well with a fork until smooth.
- Microwave on high for 1 1/2 – 3 minutes. You should try it at 1 1/2 minutes and then take it out to check to see if it is done. If not, continue to microwave in thirty second intervals. Mine was done at 1 1/2 minutes. You don't want to overcook it or it will become rubbery.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.