This chocolate bundt cake is baked rose bundt pan for a pretty presentation. The cake has a rich chocolate flavor and is easy to make.
As I stated in my mini apple bundt cakes post, I recently purchased a couple of bundt pans from the Nordic Ware line, thanks to the Food Librarian and her bundt cake project in honor of National Bundt Day.
While this post is slightly late, I did make this cake in time for National Bundt Day (November 15). My bundt pans arrived just a couple days before National Bundt Day, and for National Bundt Day I chose to use my rose bundt pan* and make a chocolate cake. Chocolate and roses, what’s not to love?
I chose to make the cake without the glaze. The bundt pan was great. With my old bundt pan, it was really hard to get the cake out. With this one, the cake fell right out when I flipped over the pan. All the details of the petals and layers of the rose came out sharp and defined.
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Whole milk
- Sour cream
- Unsalted butter
- Large eggs
- Vanilla extract
In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, mix the milk and sour cream.
In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing between each. Add the vanilla and mix to combine.
With the mixer on low speed, add some flour followed by some of the milk mixture. Keep adding alternating batches of each until the batter is mixed.
Transfer the batter to the prepared bundt pan. Bake the cake for 55 to 60 minutes at 325°F. Cool the cake in the pan before turning it out onto a serving platter.
We enjoyed this cake but it did come out a bit dry. I don’t know if I baked it too long, or if it’s the recipe. It was oh so pretty though and I was able to enjoy it with my siblings and Boyfriend for dessert.
More Bundt Cakes
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
Chocolate Bundt Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup (4-oz) sour cream
- 8 oz (2 sticks) unsalted butter plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease Bundt pan. Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Mix milk and sour cream in a small bowl.
- Cream butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then vanilla. Reduce mixer speed to low, and add flour mixture, alternating with milk mixture, ending with flour. Spoon batter into pan. Bake until a tester inserted in center comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack. Invert cake onto a platter to serve.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.