These hot chocolate cookies are made with cocoa mix and topped with a toasted marshmallow. They are warm, gooey, and make a delicious holiday cookie.
As you can see, hot chocolate is still on my mind. So, I made these delicious hot cocoa cookies. I love how they came out and they come together very easily.
Cookies Made with Hot Chocolate Mix
The cookies themselves are flavored with hot chocolate mix rather than regular cocoa powder, which really makes them taste like hot cocoa cookies. The marshmallow melts on top, so you have delicious melted marshmallow with each bite.
They’re basically easy chocolate cookies with a hot cocoa twist and they are delicious served warm. The nice thing is that even after they’ve cooled you can pop them in the microwave and they warm up nicely.
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Hot chocolate cocoa mix
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Large marshmallows
How to Make Them
Cream the butter and sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat the mixture to combine.
Add the flour, hot chocolate mix, cocoa powder, and baking powder to the bowl and mix until the dough comes together.
Form the dough into 1-inch balls and place them two inches apart on a baking sheet. Slice the marshmallows in half.
Take a marshmallow piece and press it to stick side-down in the center of a ball. Press down on the cookie ball to make it a flat disc and the marshmallow is partially buried in the dough. Repeat this process with the rest of the dough and marshmallows.
Bake them at 350°F for ten minutes. Turn the oven to broil and cook the cookies for about 30 seconds or until the marshmallow is toasted. Keep an eye on them because this does not take long and they can burn quickly.
Cool the cookies for a few minutes before eating. They are best served warm – once cooled, they can be reheated in the microwave.
I just love how these turned out. Ooey-gooey with a rich chocolate flavor. I think they’re perfect for the holidays.
More Winter Cookies
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Matcha Snowballs
- Pinecone Shortbread Cookies
- Peeps Candy Cane Stuffed Cookies
- Chocolate Caramel Cookies
Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup hot chocolate cocoa mix (see note)
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp unsweetened dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 7 large marshmallows
- 1 tbsp chocolate shavings optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Cream the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg.
- Add the flour, hot chocolate mix, cocoa powder and baking powder to the bowl and mix on low speed just until incorporated.
- Make round cookie balls about 1 inch in diameter. Place balls onto cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Snip large marshmallows in half. Press the sticky side of a half marshmallow into the center of chocolate cookie ball, until cookie flattens into a round disc and the marshmallow is partially buried into the center of the disc.
- Bake about 10 minutes until cookies are done. Set oven to a low broil. Watching cookies carefully, broil for about 30 seconds to toast marshmallow tops until they turn a deep brown. Let cookies cool a few minutes before eating. If desired, sprinkle a pinch of chocolate shavings on top of each cookie. You can reheat cold cookies in microwave for about 15 seconds each so that marshmallow centers become melted again.
- For the hot cocoa mix, I used Swiss Miss Milk Chocolate.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.