These double chocolate cookies are stuffed with PEEPS® Chocolate Dipped Candy Cane Flavored Chicks, giving them a melted and gooey candy cane flavored marshmallow center. They are then sprinkled with additional crushed candy canes.
Please note, this post and giveaway are sponsored by PEEPS®. All opinions expressed remain my own.
Holiday cookie season is officially here, and I’m starting things out with this stuffed cookie recipe! This festive cookie is my holiday recipe contribution to PEEPS’ 24 Days of PEEPSONALITY.
Peep’s Stuffed Christmas Cookies
I love baking cookies for friends and family. And for me, the best cookies are stuffed ones. PEEPS® make an especially good stuffing.
There are so many flavors, colors, and seasonal creations too. When baked, they create a gooey marshmallow center that spreads throughout most of the cookie, as well as pockets of pooled melted sugar coating, which have a chewy, caramel-like texture.
For these holiday cookies, I used PEEPS® Chocolate Dipped Candy Cane Flavored Chicks. Candy cane flavored marshmallow chicks are dipped in chocolate and sprinkled with red glitter. I’ve tried more than a dozen PEEPS® flavors over the years, but these holiday ones are the cutest, in my opinion. They are so plump and adorable! The chocolate-dipped shell also makes it easier to cut them and adds an extra bit of melted chocolate goodness to the cookies.
I think these cookies look impressive with the melted marshmallow peeking out, but they’re actually pretty easy to make. You make a chocolate cookie dough and then stuff each dough ball with a PEEP before baking.
- Softened unsalted butter
- Granulated white sugar
- Large eggs
- Unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Semisweet chocolate chunks
- PEEPS® Chocolate Dipped Candy Cake Flavored Chicks
- Crushed candy canes
Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs and then add the cocoa powder and mix on low speed until well combined.
Add the flour, salt, and baking powder and mix until the dough comes together. Chill the dough for 30 minutes
To stuff the cookies, scoop 1 ½ tablespoon of dough and place them two inches apart on a baking sheet. Flatten each one with the palm of your hand.
Place one PEEP in the center of each dough disc and then top it with 1 ½ tablespoons more of dough. Using your hands, form the dough around the PEEP, so it’s completely encased in the dough. The dough should be completely sealed.
Gently press five to six chocolate chunks in the top of each dough ball and then sprinkle the crushed candy canes over the top.
Bake the cookies for about 12 minutes or until they are set. Cool them on the baking sheet before removing them. If you try to move them while they’re hot, they could fall apart.
I’m really thrilled with how these turned out. Even when cooled, the cookies maintain that gooey center, with chewy, melted marshmallow throughout. They are perfect for the holidays.
To learn more about PEEPS® Chocolate Dipped Candy Cane Flavored Chicks and other seasonal offerings, and find more recipes, make sure to check out their website or follow them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
More Cookies Stuffed with Candy
- PEEPS Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cadbury Egg Stuffed Cookies
- Snickers Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies
PEEPS® Candy Cane Stuffed Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1¼ cups granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dutch processed cocoa powder
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- 8 PEEPS® Chocolate Dipped Candy Cane Flavored Chicks cut in half (down the middle, so head and body become separated)
- ¼ cup crushed candy cane pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Cream the butter and sugar on medium-high speed in stand mixer with paddle attachment until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Mix in the eggs. Add in the cocoa powder and mix on low speed until completely incorporated.
- Add the flour, salt and baking powder to the bowl and mix on low speed until just incorporated. Refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes.
- Using a 1.5 tbsp cookie scoop, scoop 8 dough balls onto each baking sheet, spacing them each about 2 inches apart. Flatten each dough ball with the palm of your hand.
- Place a PEEPS® half in the middle of each dough round. Scoop 1.5 tbsp of cookie dough and put on top of one of the cookies. Using your hands, spread the top dough ball over PEEPS® half until it is completely covered in chocolate cookie dough. Make sure to seal the top cookie dough with the bottom cookie dough. Seal remaining dough balls the same way with the remaining dough.
- Gently press about 5-6 chocolate chunks on the surface of each cookie. Sprinkle a heaping ½ tsp crushed candy cane pieces over surface of cookie dough. Bake about 12 minutes until cookies are set and cooked. Let cookies cool directly on baking sheets before removing.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.