This entire dish, including the cooking of the whole spaghetti squash, is made in the Instant Pot. It is an easy cheesy and flavorful low carb meal.
Ever since discovering how much easier and quicker it is to cook a spaghetti squash in the Instant Pot, I have been making many more spaghetti squash meals.
Cooking Spaghetti Squash in the Instant Pot
Unlike the oven and microwave methods for cooking spaghetti squash, you do not need to cut the squash open to cook it in the Instant Pot. Instead, the squash is cooked whole. One of the toughest parts about preparing spaghetti squash for me is trying to cut the raw squash in half, so this has been a game changer.
Before being added to the Instant Pot, make half-inch piercings into the skin, to allow it to vent during cooking.
The Instant Pot also cooks the squash faster. It takes about 15 minutes of cook time to fully cook a 2 lb spaghetti squash.
When the Instant Pot is finished cooking, the squash skin is very soft and easy to cut open.
How to Make Cheesy Garlic Spaghetti Squash in the Instant Pot
After the squash is cooked in the Instant Pot, a garlic butter sauce is prepared in the Instant Pot using the saute function. You can then also add in any vegetables of your choice– I chose broccoli– to the pot to be sauteed. The squash noodles are then added back in and tossed in the garlic butter sauce and cheese until the cheese is gooey and melty.
I served my spaghetti squash with broccoli. Other good choices are spinach or kale.
If you are looking for more spaghetti squash recipes, check out my spaghetti squash breadsticks, spaghetti squash tater tots, and garlic parmesan spaghetti squash.
Instant Pot Cheesy Garlic Spaghetti Squash
- 2 lb spaghetti squash
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup broccoli florets cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for garnish
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- Pierce the squash all over with a sharp knife, making ½ inch cuts into the skin, so that the squash can vent when cooking. I made about 20 cuts, spacing the piercings about 1 inch apart.
- Add 1 cup of water to Instant Pot. Place in trivet. Place squash on trivet.
- Seal and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Perform a quick release when it is finished cooking.
- Carefully remove squash and set aside to allow to cool slightly.
- Drain water from Instant Pot and set to saute function. Add in garlic and butter. Cook until butter is melted. Add in broccoli and broth and cook until broccoli is tender but still crisp. Switch Instant Pot to warm function.
- Slice squash in half. Scoop and remove seeds. Shred squash with a fork. Add shredded squash into Instant Pot. Add in cheese. Toss squash in cheese until evenly coated and cheese is melted. If mixture gets too dry, you can add a little more chicken broth.
- Garnish with fresh ground pepper and more Parmesan cheese if desired.
- This recipe uses the Instant Pot 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker (6 Quart Version).* If you are using a different size, you will need to adjust cooking times and water level.
- I served my spaghetti squash with broccoli. I’ve also made it before with kale or spinach.
- *Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.