Creamy macaroni and cheese is even easier and faster with the Instant Pot. Eight servings of the creamiest macaroni and cheese ready in about 20 minutes with minimal work.
I don’t think I will ever go back to making macaroni and cheese over the stove again as long as I have my Instant Pot around. Making macaroni and cheese has never been easier.
You add your water, butter, seasoning and pasta into the pot. Let it cook for four minutes.
When you open your pot, your pasta is cooked, there’s no water to drain and your pasta already has all the seasonings infused into them.
Then you stir in your cheese and milk until melted and creamy. That’s it!
Super creamy, delicious macaroni and cheese. I love that you can make a large amount in such a short time with minimal effort. Also, if you’re not quite ready to eat it right away, you can keep it sealed and on the warm function and it’ll still be creamy and warm. I always hate how stovetop macaroni and cheese goes from glossy and smooth cheese to chunky and gritty-looking in just a few minutes after you turn off the stove.
Special Tools for this Recipe
Recipe now updated with video! You can also find all my recipe videos on my youtube page.
Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 16 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- Add macaroni, water, butter, mustard powder, and hot sauce to your instant pot. Give a quick stir so that all the ingredients are dissolved into the water and not clumped up.
- Close lid and seal valve on your Instant Pot. Set to high pressure, 4 minutes in manual mode. (It will take around 10 minutes to pressurize). When it's done cooking, do a quick release and keep the Instant Pot in warm mode.
- Open your pot and stir your pasta a few time to make sure they are all evenly cooked. Most of the water should have evaporated so that you do not need to drain your pasta. If for some reason you still have too much water, drain the water.
- Quickly add in your milk and cheese while the pasta is still hot. Stir and mix until cheese is fully melted and turns into a creamy sauce coating the noodles (about 3-5 minutes). Serve immediately. (You can also keep it sealed in warm mode until ready to eat. I tested it up to an hour after it was cooked and it was still creamy and warm. I have not tested beyond one hour.)
- I used the 6 quart version of Instant Pot 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker*
- *Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
Some of the links above are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you!).