Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Macaroni and Cheese
Creamy garlic parmesan macaroni and cheese is made in the instant pot. It takes only about 5 minutes to cook everything!
I previously shared a recipe for a classic Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese. This version adds Parmesan and garlic, creating a much more flavorful macaroni and cheese.
This is so easy to make. Just like my other instant pot recipe, you add your noodles, water, garlic, butter, and spices into the pot. You set it to cook for four minutes.
When you open your pot, your macaroni is tender and your water is gone. You stir in your cheeses and milk for about 1 minute and then it’s ready to eat! It’s that easy.
The cheese mixture is a mix of white cheddar and parmesan. Because parmesan has a very strong flavor and a lot of sodium, I didn’t add too much of it. It’s just enough so you can taste the parmesan and garlic but it’s not too strong or salty.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 4 cups water
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
- 2 tsp hot sauce optional, you can leave this out if you're making this for kids
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream (see note)
- 6 oz shredded white cheddar cheese (see note)
- 4 oz shredded parmesan cheese (see note)
- fresh parsley for garnish
- ground black pepper
Add macaroni, water, garlic cloves, garlic powder, mustard powder, hot sauce and butter into your instant pot. Give everything a quick stir so that the powders aren't clumped up.
Seal your instant pot. Set to manual, high pressure and cook time of 4 minutes. Let your Instant Pot pressurize and cook. When the cooking timer finishes, do a quick pressure release on your instant pot.
Open your instant pot and give your pasta a quick stir to make sure everything is evenly cooked. If you have a little extra water in there, it should evaporate soon with your stirring. Remove and discard the garlic cloves. Add in heavy cream= and cheeses while the pasta is still hot and steaming. Stir until cheeses are melted and macaroni are evenly coated. Serve immediately. Garnish with fresh parsley and ground black pepper if desired.
- I use the Instant Pot 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker*
- You can substitute the heavy cream for evaporated milk, but I don't recommend using regular milk because it will make the mac and cheese watery.
- 6 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese is a little over 2 cups but you should weigh it for best results.
- 4 ounces of shredded parmesan cheese is about 1 1/2 cups but you should weigh it for best results.
- *Some of the product links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have. All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Garlic Parmesan Macaroni and Cheese
Amount Per Serving (0.13 of recipe)
Calories 489 Calories from Fat 230
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 15.2g95%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.4g
Monounsaturated Fat 6.8g
Vitamin A 850IU17%
Vitamin C 2.5mg3%
Net Carbs 44g88%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
I don’t yet have a recipe video for this recipe, but here is a video for my other Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese.
Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes