These easy muffins are a delicious breakfast treat. It’s a quick and easy one-bowl recipe that can be prepared in just a few minutes. The muffins are light and fluffy, studded with blueberries and flavored with lemon juice and zest. The muffins are also low carb and keto-friendly.
I love the combination of blueberries and lemons, especially in baked goods. I have been wanting to make low carb blueberry muffins. I also decided to add some lemon juice and zest to add even more flavor to the muffins.
- The muffin batter is made in one bowl. Everything is mixed with a whisk, no electric mixer needed.
- The muffins are not overly sweet so they make a good breakfast treat. If you want something sweeter or more dessert-like, you can add a lemon glaze on top.
- The muffins are studded with plenty of fresh blueberries and lightly flavored with lemon. I wanted these to mainly be blueberries muffins, with the lemon adding more flavor to the muffins.
Low Carb Flour
These muffins are made with just almond flour. You need to use superfine almond flour so that the muffins come out tender and light.
I have not tested with other low carb flours at this time. They can most likely be made with coconut flour, but the recipe would need to be altered since coconut flour is not a 1:1 substitute for almond flour.
Blueberries are generally acceptable in limited amounts for those on low carb and keto diets. This recipe uses 3/4 cup of blueberries divided between 10 muffins.
If needed, you can reduce the blueberries to 1/2 cup. If you want even more blueberry flavor, you can increase the amount to 1 cup.
The muffins are lightly flavored with lemon. I wanted these muffins to mainly be blueberries muffins, so the lemon flavor is not too strong.
- For best results, use fresh lemons. I find that fresh squeezed lemon juice has a stronger and better lemon flavor than shelf-stable lemon juice.
- Also, don’t leave out the zest. The lemon zest has a more concentrated lemon flavor so it adds a lot of lemon flavor to the muffins.
Keto Blueberry Lemon Muffins
- 2 ½ cups superfine almond flour
- 1/2 cup erythritol granular
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries divided
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a muffin pan with muffin liners. (You will only need 10.)
- In a large bowl, add almond flour, erythritol, baking powder and salt. Whisk until evenly combined.
- Add in melted butter, milk, lemon juice, eggs, lemon zest and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
- Add in half of the blueberries. Gently stir until they are evenly distributed into the batter.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop batter into prepared muffin pans. The batter should reach close to the top of each muffin liner. Add remaining blueberries to the tops of each muffin, pushing them very gently so they that the bottom 1/3 of the berries get pushed into the batter.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until tops start to turn golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Recipe adapted from Wholesome Yum
- I have not tested the recipe with frozen blueberries.
- If you do not like lemon, you can leave out the lemon juice and zest.
- The muffins are not overly sweet. If you wish for something more dessert-like, you can add a lemon glaze.
- I like using parchment paper muffin liners* as the muffins will easily come off of them.
- I used So Nourished Erythritol Sweetener Granular.* Other granular sweeteners like Swerve and Lakanto Monkfruit should also work.
- I used Kirkland Signature superfine almond flour.*
- *This product link is an affiliate link. This means I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases (at no extra charge to you).
- The estimated carbohydrates count excludes sugar alcohols. The net carbs exclude both fiber and sugar alcohols.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.