These matcha green tea cookies are crispy and chewy, with pieces of mochi sprinkled throughout.
As you know, I love mochi. I especially like it when they are bite-sized and multi-colored. I previously made frozen yogurt ice pops with mochi, and now I’ve made delicious cookies with them.
These are similar to my Crispy, Chewy, Matcha Green Tea Cookies but with colorful chewy mochi treats baked right into the cookies.
The idea came to me when I was reorganizing my kitchen pantry. I had a package of open mochi and I put them in one of my OXO pop containers and then stacked them on the shelf with my chocolate chips. And it suddenly occurred to me, why not make a cookie studded with mochi instead of chocolate chips?
I buy my mochi pieces from Costco Business Center. They can also be found at some Asian markets.
These came out just as I hoped. The mochi turn super soft and chewy when baked and give these cookies a really unique texture. And they make the cookies really colorful too. It’s definitely not your typical cookie, but it totally works for me!
Matcha Green Tea Mochi Cookies
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tbsp high quality matcha green tea powder I use maeda-en gold canister quality
- 1 cup mochi pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg. Add in remaining ingredients, except matcha powder and mochi, and mix on low speed until dough comes together. Add in matcha powder and mix until dough is uniformly green. Stir in half of the mochi pieces.
- Make balls 1 inch in diameter and place onto cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing about 2 inches apart. Use remaining mochi to press a few mochi on the top of each ball so that they remain visible.
- Bake about 10-11 minutes, until edges begin to turn a golden brown and dough is cooked. Let cookies cool completely before removing from sheets.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.