Crispy, Chewy, Matcha Green Tea Cookies
These sugar cookies are made with matcha green tea powder which gives the cookies a beautiful green color. They are crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside and are ready to go in the oven in about 15 minutes.
I love taking classic cookie recipes and giving them a twist with matcha green tea powder. The flavor is unique and gives the cookies a natural green hue that I find so pretty.
Type of Matcha Green Tea Powder to Use
When baking with matcha powder, it is best to use a high-quality matcha powder. I buy universal grade or ceremonial grade matcha powder by Maeda En*. These matcha powders are a little pricier but you only need a little bit for a recipe so a small canister can last a while. The higher quality matcha powders will ensure that your baked goods maintain their green color.
Cheaper matcha powders, like culinary grade, are fine for other types of cooking with matcha but don’t produce the bright green color in baked goods (instead the baked goods usually turn light brown or yellow as they cook in the oven).
Cookie Making Tips
- The key to getting the right texture for your cookies is to first cream the butter and sugar together until smooth.
- The butter should be softened by letting it sit out on the counter for a few hours before you make the cookies.
- You also want to slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar and mix until just combined. This will ensure your cookies are crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside.
*Some of the product links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tsp matcha green tea powder
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). In a small bowl, stir together flour, matcha green tea powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Roll dough into balls about one inch in diameter and flatten slightly to create round discs, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
- When baking with matcha powder, it is best to use a high-quality matcha powder. I buy universal grade or ceremonial grade matcha powder by Maeda En*.
- Recipe adapted from All Recipes
- *Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
More Cookie Recipes
Best Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies | These chocolate chip cookies are soft and thick thanks to a secret ingredient. They are my favorite chocolate chip cookies!
Matcha Snowball Cookies | These melt-in-your-mouth snowball cookies are made with matcha powder giving them a natural and festive color.
Momofuku’s Corn Cookies | These giant cookies are chewy and sweet with just a hint of corn flavor.