- 2 cups bleached all-purpose four
- 2 tbsp Matcha green tea
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 large eggs separated
- 1 pinch of salt
- Line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with foil. Set a rack in the middle level of the oven and preheat to 325°F. Combine the flour, green tea and baking powder and stir well to mix.
- Cream butter and confectioners’ sugar in bowl of mixer with paddle attachment and beat for about 3 minutes or until light. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping bowl and beater occasionally with a rubber spatula. Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the flour mixture by hand, with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the egg whites and salt into a clean, dry mixer bowl. Place on mixer with whisk attachment and whip whites on medium speed until white and opaque and just beginning to hold their shape. Increase speed slightly and continue whipping egg whites until they hold a soft peak.
- Remove bowl from mixer and quickly scrape whites from bowl onto batter in other bowl. Use a large rubber spatula to fold the egg whites into the batter, folding just until no streaks of white remain.
Scrape the batter into prepared pans and smooth the top. Bake the cakes for about 45 minutes or until it is well risen and a toothpick inserted in the center emerges dry. Cool the cake in the pans on a rack for 10 minutes, then un-mold and cool it completely.
Recipe source: Milk and Honey Cafe