This cauliflower rice dish incorporates the flavors found in Mexican rice for an easy, low carb, gluten free dish that is ready in less than 30 minutes.
This past weekend we went to Austin to eat allll the BBQ. The only thing close to a vegetable we ate were the pickles that came with the BBQ. Now that we’re back, I’m making sure we eat a lot of vegetables.
Mexican rice is one of Mr. K’s favorite dishes, so I decided to try making a cauliflower rice version. It’s such an easy and flavorful dish and one I’ll be making again.
Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups riced cauliflower
- 1/2 small yellow onion finely diced
- 3 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2-3 tbsp chicken broth
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1 lime sliced into wedges (optional, to squeeze onto the rice at the end)
- In a large skillet, add olive oil and garlic. Bring skillet to medium high heat and cook the garlic until lightly browned. Add in the onions and cook until tender. Add in the cauliflower and cook until tender but still crisp.
- Mix in tomato paste, cumin, paprika and salt. If your cauliflower rice is a little dry, add in chicken broth, 1 tbsp at a time. Cook until cauliflower is soft and evenly coated in tomato paste and seasonings. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Remove skillet from heat and sprinkle with cilantro. Squeeze lime juice over rice if desired. Serve warm.
- Look for cauliflower that is already riced in the produce department or you can rice your own by pulsing the florets in a food processor.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.