So I sort of made up the name for this dessert. The other day I thought of trying to make really intense Nutella brownies. And then I remembered these Better Than Crack Brownies I previously made that includes a layer of crispy rice covered in chocolate.
I took a ridiculously easy Nutella brownie recipe I previously made and decided to intensify it by adding a layer of crunchy rice covered in Nutella. These were amazing. Actually, the brownies were pretty amazing on their own and quite pretty and I almost didn’t want to cover them up.
It’s odd. When I first came across the Nutella brownie recipe, everyone made it into little mini muffins. They ended up tasting more like a cake than a brownie and so I called mine mini Nutella cakes. But this time when I put them in a brownie pan, they tasted fudgier and even looked like brownies, with the top getting all crackly and shiny (something that didn’t happen when I made them into individual mini muffins). Next time I might make these brownies just by themselves. But the extra layer does add a nice crunch and more Nutella. Yum.
You can’t have too much Nutella right? I hope not because I’ve been eating a ton…
So the name comes partially from the brownies that inspired them, partially because they are addicting, and partially because they are brownies topped with a crackly/crunchy rice.
Nutella Crack Brownies
For the Brownies
- 1 cup Nutella
- 2 large eggs
- 10 tbsp all purpose flour
For the Nutella Crunch
- 2 cups of rice krispies
- 1 1/2 cups Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the Nutella and eggs in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth and well blended. Add the flour and whisk until blended.
- Pour batter into a 9 x 9 baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake about 10-12 minutes until a knife inserted comes out almost clean with just a few crumbs clinging.
- While the brownies are baking, make the crunch. First microwave the nutella in a glass bowl for about 30 seconds to one minute to make it easier to mix. Add in the cereal and mix thoroughly until cereal is covered with nutella.
- Once brownies are out of the oven, spread the crunch evenly on top of the brownies.
- Let brownies cool completely and set before serving.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.