- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs separated
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup good-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly grated zest of 2 limes
- Fresh squeezed lime juice from 2 limes
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar sifted, for dusting
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously spray the inside of a 10-inch Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray and flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- With a paddle attachment, beat the egg yolks until they are pale and light; slowly pour in the sugar until it is completely incorporated. Add the yogurt and olive oil and mix until thoroughly combined. Add the lime zest, lime juice and vanilla, and mix until just incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients in two parts, beating after each addition until just combined (about 10 seconds). Scrape down the bowl and beat again for 5 seconds.
- In another large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Scoop 1 cup of the egg whites into the batter. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold them in. After about 30 seconds of folding, add the remaining egg whites and gently fold until they are almost completely combined. Do not rush the folding process.
- Pour the batter into pan and bake for 40-50 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Just before serving, dust with confectioners sugar.
Recipe adapted from Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented.