You only need one ingredient to make this cold and creamy banana ice cream. It’s a great dairy-free alternative to regular ice cream and is so easy to make!
If you want to make dairy-free ice cream with just one ingredient you don’t need to look any further than the bananas sitting on your counter! I was doubtful at first, too, but after I read about one-ingredient ice cream on Serious Eats I had to try it out.
The banana ice cream recipe is so easy I immediately bought some bananas, stuck them in the freezer, and then this past weekend, popped them into my food processor. I was amazed. It did taste like ice cream!
Once blended, the bananas take on a creamy texture, so the taste is like a banana ice cream. Very rich in banana flavor. And so healthy!
Easy Ice Cream Recipe with Bananas
I’ve made ice cream using my ice cream maker like Nutella Ice Cream and I’ve also made lots of no-churn ice cream recipes like my Whole Lemon Ice Cream, but I’ve never made one as easy as this banana ice cream. If you have a food processor and bananas you can make this easy ice cream.
How to Make Banana Ice Cream
- Peel ripe bananas and slice them into chunks.
- Place the banana chunks in an airtight container and place them in the freezer.
- You want the bananas to be completely frozen, which will take at least two hours.
- Place the frozen bananas in a food processor and process them until they are blended.
- At this point, the banana ice cream will be similar to soft-serve ice cream. I prefer my ice cream a little firmer, so I put my blended bananas in the freezer for an hour to firm up.
- Scoop and serve!
Do I have to freeze the bananas first?
Yes, in order to get the right ice cream-like consistency the bananas should be frozen first before you blend them.
Can I freeze the bananas in their peels?
Yes, you can freeze bananas in their peels, but they can be a little messy to peel after they’ve been frozen. I like to peel the bananas first and either freeze them whole or cut them into chunks before freezing them.
How long will bananas keep in the freezer?
Bananas will keep two to three months in the freezer as long as they are properly stored in an airtight container.
Can I use a blender to make banana ice cream?
You can use a blender to make banana ice cream, but I prefer the food processor. I noticed my banana ice cream was more liquidy when I used my blender versus my food processor.
Can I add other ingredients to banana ice cream?
Yes, you can add other ingredients to change up the flavor of your ice cream. Peanut butter, honey, chocolate, and other frozen fruit are great additions. Just be aware that the amount of the other ingredients you add can change the consistency of your ice cream.
I know I’ll be making this banana ice cream all summer! It’s so easy to make and perfect on a hot summer day.
1-Ingredient Banana Ice Cream
- 2 medium-sized frozen bananas
- Place the frozen bananas in a food processor and process them until smooth.
- You can serve the ice cream right away or, if you want it firmer, store it in an airtight container and freeze it for a couple of hours.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.