Pumpkin streusel muffins combine my favorite fall ingredient with a crunchy sweet streusel topping. The pumpkin muffins are spiced with nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves which is perfect with the pecan streusel. These easy muffins are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or as a snack during the fall season.
These pumpkin streusel muffins are a great treat for the fall baking season. Although, is it a crime to make pumpkin recipes year-round? This is a recipe I would make at different times of year because they’re topped with a delicious pecan streusel and I never get tired of crumbly buttery toppings on muffins.
I usually make plain muffins, so these streusel muffins were a nice change. They remind me of the pumpkin crumb muffins you get in a coffee shop or bakery. Making the streusel adds a few steps, but it’s not hard to do.
- Vegetable oil
- Pumpkin puree
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Ground nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger
Combine the wet ingredients: Mix oil and sugar together in a bowl. Add pumpkin puree, eggs, and water and stir until combined.
Combine the dry ingredients: In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and stir until combined. Pour the batter into a prepared muffin pan.
Pecan Streusel Topping
- Place butter, brown sugar and pecan pieces in a bowl. Use a fork to combine the ingredients until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Sprinkle the streusel over the top of the muffin batter in the muffin pan.
- Bake the muffins at 350°F for 20 minutes.
Once the muffins are cool, store them in an airtight container. They will keep well for a few days at room temperature.
I think the topping tastes best the day they’re made because it does soften a bit after a while. It still tastes good but isn’t as crunchy.
I love how they turned out. They are moist and the streusel topping is lightly crunchy with a crumbly texture.
If you want to squeeze in a few more fall baking projects here are some more of my favorite pumpkin recipes for you to try:
- Flourless Pumpkin Pie Muffins
- Pumpkin Donut Muffins
- 2-Ingredient Pumpkin Ice Cream Bread
- Nutella Swirl Pumpkin Bread
Pecan Streusel Pumpkin Muffins
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature, cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line muffin/cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk the oil and sugar in a large bowl. Add the eggs, pumpkin, and water and whisk until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and stir to fully incorporate.
- Pour the batter into cupcake liners, about 2/3 full.
- To make the topping, combine the sugar, butter, cinnamon and the pecan pieces. Use a fork and mix until it butter and sugar resembles a coarse meal. You can also rub the mixture between your hands so that the butter mixes thoroughly with the sugar. Sprinkle the topping over the muffins before baking. Bake for approximately 20 minutes.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.