These Oreo Lava cakes start with a warm chocolate cake filled with a Oreo cookies and cream lava pudding center. This easy cake doesn’t require any mixers and is a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth during this cold winter season.
It may appear that all I’ve been sharing on this blog lately are molten lava cakes. It’s true. It’s been a huge obsession lately. With the colder weather, my mind is consumed with warm desserts. I promise I’ll be sharing some other kinds of recipes after this one.
The idea is inspired by my mom’s recent visit to Chili’s. She went with my brother and they ordered an oreo lava cake for dessert, which she declared was the best dessert ever. I’ve never had Chili’s oreo lava cake, but I wanted to make my own version.
When I think lava cakes, I usually think of smaller portions and easy to make. I didn’t want to make this overly complicated and I didn’t want a recipe that would make dozens of cakes. So this simplified version makes just 4 cakes. Three for you and one for someone else.
Oreo Lava Cakes
for the cake
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chopped
- 3/4 cup fat-free or low fat milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
fo the filling
- 1/4 cup instant Oreo pudding mix
- 1/2 cup cold low fat milk
- In a small bowl, combine pudding mix and cold milk. Beat with a whisk until completely smooth and no lumps remain. Let mixture stand at room temperature for about 5 minutes. It should thicken into a pudding.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare four (4-oz) ramekins by spraying with PAM with flour. If you don't have an oil spray with flour, you can also grease inside of ramekins, sprinkle generously with flour, then tap ramekins (while they are turned upside down) to get rid of excess flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, add chopped chocolate and milk. Microwave for about 1 minute (be sure to cover the bowl with a microwave-safe paper towel). Stir with a whisk until chocolate is mostly melted. Microwave again for an additional 1 minute and stir until melted chocolate is completely uniform. You can also melt chocolate with milk on the stove, over a pot of simmering water.
- Add in remaining cake ingredients. Whisk until batter is completely smooth.
- Add batter into prepared ramekins, until they are about half full. Add 2 tbsp of Oreo pudding to the center of each ramekin. Evenly divide remaining batter between the four ramekins, making sure to completely cover the oreo filling. Cakes will not rise too high during baking, so if they are about 2/3- 3/4 full, it is fine.
- Place ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake for 17-18 minutes, or until the surface of cakes are just set.
- Remove cakes from oven. Use a small spatula to dislodge the sides of the cakes from the ramekins. Place a small plate on top of each ramekin. Very quickly, invert the plate with ramekin, so that the plate is now on the bottom and the ramekin is upside down on top. When you lift up the ramekin, the cake should be on the plate. Repeat with remaining ramekins. Serve immediately.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
Other lava cake recipes: Molten Nutella Lava Cakes, Red Velvet Lava Mug Cake, 4-Ingredient Nutella Lava Mug Cake, and Cookie Butter Lava Mug Cake.
Browse more Oreo/Cookies and Cream Recipes here.
No eggs ? Making this on Friday
Just made the cake. Thanx for the vagan recipe first. My kids are loving it.
yay! so glad to hear that!
I just made this and it tasted like flour. I tried putting some caramel sauce on and it hid the flour taste.
it definitely shouldn’t taste like flour. perhaps you added too much flour or you didn’t bake them long enough?
Do you have to use low fat milk or can you use 2%?
that should be fine
Looks really good!! Going to try it this weekend. Do I have to wait till the cakes are cool before flipping them on the plate? If so, flr how long?
I didn’t. You just need to be careful since the ramekins will be hot.
Where do you find a microwave safe paper towel? I have never heard of that.
there is usually a section on the package of your paper towels talking about microwave use safety. I think most paper towels are okay in the microwave though usually you want to stick to white ones rather than the ones with prints on them.
In my country the Oreo pudding isn’t available, any suggestions to replace it?
perhaps you can use a vanilla or chocolate one and mix in crushed oreos?
We don’t have oreo pudding here in Ontario, Canada either 🙁 I just mix vanilla pudding with finely crushed oreo’s .. works great 🙂
Thanks for sharing that!
My jaw has dropped!
I had a Red Velvet Lava Cake at Chilis that was absolutely to die for but was never able to find the recipe.
I haven’t tried the one at Chili’s! I will have to check it out