Hi everyone.  Hope you all had a great Labor Day weekend.  I did a lot of eating this weekend, with posts to soon come.  Meanwhile, here is a quick post for potatoes I made for a Labor Day weekend bbq.  I was very happy with how the potatoes came out.  The idea was inspired from Dianasaur Dishes. I loved how beautiful her deviled potatoes were and have been wanting to make them ever since.  A Labor Day bbq seemed the be the perfect occasion to try them out.

I didn't follow her recipe exactly, but kept with the theme of using beautiful blue and red potatoes skins (though my red ones didn't stay red once boiled).  I boiled the potatoes and then cut them in half and scooped out the inside.  I kept the red potatoes and blue potatoes in separate bowls.  I then decided to treat the potato insides like egg yolks.  I mashed them up a little and used a recipe for deviled eggs that I had made a long time ago with a friend (I'm not sure where my friend got the recipe from).  Then I put the white mash from the red potatoes inside the blue potatoes.  And I put the blue potato mash (which turned a light purple) into the red potato skins.  I then sprinkled some dried parsley flakes on top because I didn't have any paprika.

Recipe

Ingredients

• 4 small potatoes ( 2 red, 2 blue)
  • 1/2 tsp mustard (x 2)
  • 1 tsp ranch dressing (x 2)
  • 1 tsp mayonnaise (x 2)

Directions

1. Boil potatoes in pot until soft.  Cut potatoes in half.

2. Remove insides of potatoes with spoon.  Separate the inside of the blue potatoes and insides of the red potatoes in small bowls.  Mash the potatoes in each bowl.

3. Mix mustard, ranch dressing, and mayonnaise with each small bowl of potatoes.

4. Put mashed potato mixture back into the potato skins.  Place blue potato mix inside red skins and place the red potato mix into blue potato skins.

5. Garnish with dry parsley flakes.

11 Responses to “Deviled potatoes”

1. Carol — September 8, 2009 at 10:41 am

I love how they turned out! I’ll have to try this next time I grill. Potatoes, yummmmm!

2. Cookie — September 8, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Why only 4 small potatoes! I can imagine eating about 10 of those!

3. Kirbie — September 8, 2009 at 1:02 pm

I was so happy too! I love potatoes…I also made some potato salad and I kept eating the blue potatoes and almost didn’t have enough for my salad. heehee.

4. Kirbie — September 8, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Haha! You can make as many as you want! Next time I’m making more. I was just experimenting and I had already done some other stuff with my other potatoes, but this ended up being my favorite from the weekend.

5. hungry dog — September 10, 2009 at 12:26 pm

These look so pretty and delicious! Love purple potatoes.

6. Kirbie — September 11, 2009 at 11:20 am

Thanks! I really loved them.

7. Gastronomer — September 14, 2009 at 2:07 pm

This is such a cute and delicious idea!

8. Kirbie — September 15, 2009 at 9:25 am

Thanks! When I started, I wasn’t exactly sure what the final result would be. The idea to put the purple mash in the red potatoes and the idea to use deviled egg spices only came as I was already making the dish. I love being struck with these creative moments (It doesn’t happen to me often)

9. Pingback: Deviled potatoes | Online REL

10. Pingback: This Month’s Healthy Bite: What is your favorite recipe to bring on a picnic? | FaveDietsBlog

11. Pingback: Father’s Day Eats | Hot and Healthy Mom