Monday, April 11, 2011

Bacon Egg Pancake Cups

About a month ago I made some bacon egg toast cups. What I really liked about them is that they have all the breakfast items in one neat package. I started thinking about how it could be better, and I realized what would be a more perfect breakfast for me is to have pancakes, bacon and eggs.

So I set out to try making a bacon egg pancake cup. It took a few tries before I got it right. Figuring out how to incorporate the pancake batter was trickier than I thought. But when I finally got it right, I really liked the results.  I like this one even better than the bacon egg toast cups, maybe because I’m not as fond of toast as I am of pancakes.

Bacon Egg Pancake Cups

6 strips of bacon (precooked like the ones you can buy at Costco will make this easier)
6 eggs
your favorite pancake mix

1. Mix up a small batch of your favorite pancake batter. About enough to serve 2-3 pancakes. I used Bisquick mix for mine.
2. Grease 6 molds of a muffin pan.
3. Put a thin layer of pancake batter at the bottom of each mold. This layer must be very thin (about 1/4 inch); thinner than when you normally make pancakes because the pancakes will rise when cooked and you want room for your eggs.
4. Preheat the oven to 350F and bake the pancakes in the oven for about 3-4 minutes, until the batter is almost completely cooked.
5. If using raw bacon, cook strips of bacon in a pan or in the microwave until they are about half done. If using precooked ones, You don't need to do this step.
6. Line the bacon around the inside of each muffin mold.
7. Crack an egg and pour it into the middle of each mold. If you are using large or extra large eggs, leave out some of the egg white, or else it will take too long for the egg white to cook and you may overcook your egg yolk.
8. Bake at 400F for about 8 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your desired doneness.

53 Responses to “Bacon Egg Pancake Cups”

blogbytina! — April 12, 2011 @ 3:45 pm

I want one of these every morning for the rest of my life.

• Kirbie replied: — April 13th, 2011 @ 8:19 am

Haha. I think I may get sick of it if I had it every day, but it is nice to have once in a while.

rx4foodies — April 13, 2011 @ 4:50 pm

OMG that’s the perfect breakfast bite all wrapped up in one!! I’m so excited to try these soon!

Morgan — April 15, 2011 @ 8:40 pm

All the best parts of breakfast in one, yum!

Aunt Jemima — April 16, 2011 @ 1:41 am

Did you eat these as is, or pour maple syrup on top?

I think the maple syrup element needs to be in there somewhere, because what’s pancakes without syrup, but pouring it over the egg might be a bit nasty. Then again you use Bisquick for pancake batter so…

What about pouring in a little maple syrup over the pancake layer after step 4? Or perhaps glazing the bacon with some maple syrup while cooking it in step 5? Hmmm, I think I am onto something here… Must try!

telesma — April 18, 2011 @ 6:09 am

I might try this and add some maple chips to the pancake batter.

@Aunt Jemima, maple chips will add maple syrup flavor without the mess, so it’s still a self contained all-in-one breakfast package. They’re just kind of hard to find, so I order online. I use them to make pancake muffins with cooked crumbled bulk breakfast sausage in them.

• Kirbie replied: — April 18th, 2011 @ 8:29 am

I didn’t even know there were maple chips! Thanks for letting me know

Lindsey — April 22, 2011 @ 10:05 am

Question: Is there any way to make the eggs well done/not runny? I haven’t attempted to make these yet, but it looks as if the egg is still over-easy or medium. I like mine cooooked all the way through. Just curious if they are fully done or if there was a way to adjust?

• Kirbie replied: — April 22nd, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

Yes, you can cook the eggs however much you want. Just leave them in the oven a little longer if you want them cooked all the way through and they should be fine. I’ve done them both ways (still runny, completely done) depending on who is eating them. You can just poke the egg yolk to check if it is done if you want yours cooked all the way.

catty — May 17, 2011 @ 6:02 am

omg these are ADORABLE! they don’t sound toooo hard to make either – very exciting :)

Skye — August 10, 2011 @ 8:56 pm

i am a full time student and i work this recipe is a dream come true.. Only thing i would change is making the eggs scrambled thank u so much

• Kirbie replied: — August 10th, 2011 @ 9:27 pm

That’s an interesting idea. Thanks for sharing!

Beth — November 11, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

Oh my goodness these look simply delicious! May have to try these very soon!

Ruth — November 18, 2011 @ 5:33 pm

I fixed this recipe this morning, only I used turkey bacon, as that’s what I had on hand. This was really delish! It’s going in my permanent recipe file. Thanks, Kirbie!

• Kirbie replied: — November 18th, 2011 @ 10:32 pm

Glad you liked it. You should try it with regular bacon when you have a chance!

cartenman — November 21, 2011 @ 11:09 pm

Came here cause of 9Gag. Stayed for the food.

Ben — November 25, 2011 @ 6:57 am

I’m going to try this with toast because i’m too lazy to whip up some pancake batter

• Kirbie replied: — November 25th, 2011 @ 3:33 pm

The toast version is good too =)

TrippChic — November 27, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

I’m so going to have to try this:)
    I found your recipe through the damnlol website

I thought you’d find that awesome:) You’re kinda simi=famous now:P

• Kirbie replied: — November 28th, 2011 @ 10:46 am

Hi TrippChic- I haven’t visited this site before. Thanks for letting me know about it!

Zach — December 22, 2011 @ 7:16 pm

I tried it! First time successful, I’d reckon. I know you would say ‘pics or it never happened’, so here goes!

• Kirbie replied: — December 23rd, 2011 @ 9:33 am

Yay! Thanks for sharing!

Blair — December 25, 2011 @ 9:11 am

Maple bacon was the perfect thing to use for the maple flavour. These are the best!

• Kirbie replied: — December 26th, 2011 @ 12:52 am

Oh that is a great idea!

Chelsey — January 4, 2012 @ 1:01 pm

We found your recipe quite a while back, and it’s since become a family favorite. (They’ve been dubbed ‘Munchkins’ in our house.) We always use peppered bacon, and real maple syrup on the side tastes great with it. Thank you for sharing!!

• Kirbie replied: — January 5th, 2012 @ 10:58 am

I love the name! So glad you enjoy this recipe

what i know — January 29, 2012 @ 5:32 am

this looks so yummy thanks for this idea, i stumbleupon your site and i am glad.

etc — January 30, 2012 @ 6:44 am

What about separating the eggs first, so that you can pour in half or two-thirds of the white, and then plop in the yolk?

• Kirbie replied: — January 30th, 2012 @ 8:46 am

You mean as an alternative to leaving some of the egg white out? The problem was that there was just too much egg white for the size of the muffin cups and took a while to cook. Of course you can separate the eggs too and plop the egg yolk after but I think the end result is the same.

Chelsea — January 30, 2012 @ 10:39 am

I personally do not like bacon, But I can’t wait to make these for my boyfriend! Awesome!!

• Kirbie replied: — January 30th, 2012 @ 3:44 pm

I hope he likes them!

CL Mareydt — January 30, 2012 @ 2:49 pm

Fantastically breakfasty awesome !!!!

Knutz — February 1, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

this my favorite breakfast mixing my egg yolk with the syrup.. yum How about crumbling the bacon through out ? the only problem is I’m not worth much after eating . BTW You have my Vote

• Kirbie replied: — February 2nd, 2012 @ 8:58 am

Mmm, bacon throughout sounds good.

S Howard — February 7, 2012 @ 7:40 am

I’m not the biggest fan of sweet breakfasts, so I plan to try this with a buttermilk biscuit mix, instead of a pancake mix.

• Kirbie replied: — February 7th, 2012 @ 9:32 am

I’ve made a biscuit version with pillsbury biscuit dough which was delicious too =)

Offshore Mapping — February 7, 2012 @ 3:55 pm

Looks good… I’ll try it.

Morris in the Keys — February 7, 2012 @ 3:58 pm

Try this with some Grouper :)

Morris in the Keys — February 7, 2012 @ 4:07 pm

I’m trying some Grouper with this!

Hank in NH — February 12, 2012 @ 7:54 am

Excellent Recipe. I’m a novice cook and they came out great. The hint regarding the egg whites is right on. Thanks

• Kirbie replied: — February 12th, 2012 @ 2:17 pm

So great to hear! I love it when people post about their positive experiences

Susan — February 19, 2012 @ 10:35 pm

This is such a great idea. I have Celiac Disease. This recipe could easily be made with gluten-free pancake mix. Both bacon and eggs are naturally gluten-free. I am going to try it. Thank you

• Kirbie replied: — February 20th, 2012 @ 10:29 am

I’m glad to know it can be turned into a gluten free version!

Kim — February 21, 2012 @ 7:13 am

Awesome! I used the pancake spray and precooked bacon…same great taste..but way less time! Love it

• Kirbie replied: — February 21st, 2012 @ 11:06 am

Oh pancake spray. I used to have that stuff. Forgot all about it. I’ve been using precooked bacon too. Saves a ton of time.

clmosher — March 7, 2012 @ 1:27 pm

Use Medium/ small eggs. That should eliminate the need to dump part of your eggs out. Worked well for me.

• Kirbie replied: — March 8th, 2012 @ 9:34 am

Yeah that does eliminate the problem. I hardly ever have small eggs lying around though. heh.

sarah — April 9, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

lolololol made these for my boyfriend XD he loves them so much

• Kirbie replied: — April 10th, 2012 @ 8:01 am

I’m glad to hear that!

Johann — April 19, 2012 @ 7:36 am

You rock SUPER hard.
    this breakfast awesomeness was beyond my foodyest dreams….. and i like to dream BIG! :D

• Kirbie replied: — April 19th, 2012 @ 9:07 am

Haha, I love this recipe! Glad other people do also.

specksyo — September 29, 2012 @ 10:40 pm

I just made these Bacon, Egg, Pancake Cups and they are amazingly awesome. Might I dare to say that mine possibly turned out looking prettier than yours n__n hehe

• Kirbie replied: — September 30th, 2012 @ 12:17 pm