About a month ago I made some bacon egg toast cups. What I really liked about them is that they have all the breakfast items in one neat package. I started thinking about how it could be better, and I realized what would be a more perfect breakfast for me is to have pancakes, bacon and eggs.
So I set out to try making a bacon egg pancake cup. It took a few tries before I got it right. Figuring out how to incorporate the pancake batter was trickier than I thought. But when I finally got it right, I really liked the results. I like this one even better than the bacon egg toast cups, maybe because I’m not as fond of toast as I am of pancakes.
Bacon Egg Pancake Cups
6 strips of bacon (precooked like the ones you can buy at Costco will make this easier)
your favorite pancake mix
1. Mix up a small batch of your favorite pancake batter. About enough to serve 2-3 pancakes. I used Bisquick mix for mine.
2. Grease 6 molds of a muffin pan.
3. Put a thin layer of pancake batter at the bottom of each mold. This layer must be very thin (about 1/4 inch); thinner than when you normally make pancakes because the pancakes will rise when cooked and you want room for your eggs.
4. Preheat the oven to 350F and bake the pancakes in the oven for about 3-4 minutes, until the batter is almost completely cooked.
5. If using raw bacon, cook strips of bacon in a pan or in the microwave until they are about half done. If using precooked ones, You don't need to do this step.
6. Line the bacon around the inside of each muffin mold.
7. Crack an egg and pour it into the middle of each mold. If you are using large or extra large eggs, leave out some of the egg white, or else it will take too long for the egg white to cook and you may overcook your egg yolk.
8. Bake at 400F for about 8 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your desired doneness.