Thursday, July 4, 2013

No Bake Avocado Pie

A few weeks ago, I was flipping through an avocado recipe pamphlet when I came across a recipe for an avocado pie. Mr. K and I are huge, huge fans of avocados. I can’t get enough of them. I love them plain, on toast, in a sweet shake, as ice cream, etc.

I knew right away I would like an avocado pie. This recipe is so easy to put together. You do need to let it chill overnight though, otherwise the filling isn’t set.

My first attempt, I followed the recipe I found but it didn’t quite work. I thought the filling was too sweet and the recipe didn’t make enough filling to properly fill the pie crust. So I fiddled with the recipe and made a new version this weekend.

Even though I doubled the avocado and added some Greek yogurt, I still think this was a little too sweet. Maybe I’ll add even more yogurt next time or reduce the condensed milk. It still tastes good though. It reminds me of a key lime pie because of the color and graham cracker crust.

It was a little tricky getting the slices out cleanly. The filling was set, but the graham cracker crust kept crumbling at the bottom, which is why the slices don’t look as solid. I used a premade store crust. Next time I’ll make my own.

The inspiration for this most recent avocado recipe was actually a California Avocado Commission event we went to recently. It was held at Border Grill, the restaurant owned by Celebrity Chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger. During the event, we got to see avocados used in many ways.

First, we were put to work in a quick cooking contest. My team didn’t win, though I think we should have at least gotten something for presentation because we were the only ones who plated it outside of the serving dish.  I also loved the clever name that Darlene of My Burning Kitchen came up with for our team’s dish: Avo-Cabo Sunset Pasta Salad (“vacation in a salad”). I thought I had taken photos of it on display for judging, but I guess not. Here is a quick shot I took of the finished product before we took it to the judging table.

After the contest, we were treated to a cooking demonstration and lunch meal from Chefs Milliken and Feniger. Here’s what we ate.

We had a lot of fun and I’m always looking for inspiration of new ways to eat avocado. One of the dishes required the avocados to be grilled and I absolutely loved the flavors brought out from grilling them. Mr. K and I immediately grilled some avocado slices the next day.

If you’ve ever seen or met Chefs Milliken and Feniger, you know they are extremely high energy and very entertaining. This was a great event for avocado lovers like Mr. K and I. I came home and immediately was inspired to make a dozen avocado recipes, including this no bake avocado pie.

Avocado Pie

2 large, ripe Hass Avocados
1/2 cup 2% Chobani Greek yogurt, plain
1 can (14 oz) condensed milk
1 premade graham cracker crust

Blend avocados, yogurt and condensed milk until smooth. You may want to consider reducing the condensed milk if it's too sweet. I found that when I tasted it before it was chilled, it wasn't too sweet. But it got sweeter while setting. I might reduce the condensed milk slightly next time. Pour batter into crust and smooth top with spatula. Chill in fridge overnight. Keep in fridge until just before serving.

18 Responses to “No Bake Avocado Pie”

Chung-Ah | Damn Deliicous — July 5, 2013 @ 2:35 pm

Avocado in pie form? How have I never tried this before?!

• Kirbie replied: — July 6th, 2013 @ 6:17 am

Haha. It’s pretty good!

Belinda @themoonblushbaker — July 6, 2013 @ 8:28 am

Just the dessert I need! I have a bunch of avos that need to be used up Asap! I might brulee the top with a bit of palm sugar for that extra touch this week. Thank you for the recipe

• Kirbie replied: — July 6th, 2013 @ 8:23 pm

Wow, brulee sounds nice and fancy!

Jen — July 7, 2013 @ 3:17 pm

Looks good but does it brown?

• Kirbie replied: — July 7th, 2013 @ 9:31 pm

It shouldn’t. Mine didn’t. Make sure to put a lid if you refrigerate the remains.

Tanvi — July 8, 2013 @ 11:00 pm

hi, can I make it with fresh curd instead of greek yogurt?

• Kirbie replied: — July 9th, 2013 @ 8:24 am

I think that should work though I haven’t tried

Lauren — July 9, 2013 @ 6:16 am

I’ve recently been on an avocado kick, too! This sounded strange, but that’s what attracted me to your recipe. It sounds delicious now that I know what’s in it! Do you mind if I share it on my new blog? (I’ll credit you, of course.)

• Kirbie replied: — July 9th, 2013 @ 8:23 am

I don’t mind if you share one photo and link to it, but please do not share the entire recipe or all my photos on your blog. thank you!

Sarah — July 14, 2013 @ 4:03 pm

If you add 1/4 cup of lemon juice to this you will find it cuts down the sickly sweetness really well. I have been making avocado mousse for years by blending 1 can condensed milk, 1/4 – 1/2 cup lemon juice and 1 avocado. Yum!

• Kirbie replied: — July 15th, 2013 @ 7:43 am

Thanks for the tip! I will try that next time.

Bomision — October 5, 2013 @ 2:12 pm

I tried this recipe, but substituted the yogurt for cream cheese. Sadly, the top layer of the avocado turned brown and tasted slightly bitter after keeping it in the fridge over night. Did that happen with yours too?

• Kirbie replied: — October 6th, 2013 @ 7:20 am

No mine stayed green. Did you cover it? If you leave the avocado exposed too long then it does turn brown but I kept mine covered.

Nancy Bachmann — October 6, 2013 @ 5:17 pm

I don’t find the recipe anywhere on your blog.

• Kirbie replied: — October 6th, 2013 @ 11:18 pm

It’s at the end of the post.

Angel — February 17, 2014 @ 11:58 pm

I make avocado ice cream all the time using coconut milk, coconut cream, Lime zest and juice. The lime keeps it from going brown. Sometimes I use the guacamole mixed with the coconut milk/cream for a spicy ice cream. Now, this…. yum. I probably would add some cream cheese whipped into it and Lime on top.
    Thanks for sharing.

• Kirbie replied: — February 18th, 2014 @ 12:10 am

i love making avocado ice cream! I usually don’t use coconut in the mix though but that sounds like a good combination too