Crispy cheddar cheese crackers that are just 2 ingredients and take less than 30 minutes to make from start to finish. These crackers are similar to homemade Cheez-It crackers, but they are also low carb and keto-friendly.
These cheddar crackers are my new go-to snack. They are salty, crunchy and everything I crave in a cracker. Plus, the dough takes less than 5 minutes to prepare.
- Cheddar Cheese
- Almond Flour
I recommend using a sharp cheddar as it will add more flavor to your crackers. I used a block which I shredded but you can also use pre-shredded cheese.
You will want to use superfine almond flour for this recipe. The finer texture will allow it to melt into the dough so that there is no grittiness.
Can I use other cheeses?
This recipe may work with other cheeses. I recommend trying cheeses with less moisture. I tried with low fat mozzarella and I did not like the results. The crackers didn’t crisp up as much as I would like. I also have a parmesan cheese cracker recipe that is similar to this recipe but requires a different method to prepare the dough.
Can I use other flours?
I have not tried this with coconut flour or any other flour. I think it will work with other nut flours like hazelnut flour. I do not know of a nut-free substitute at this time.
The crackers taste fine on their own but if you want to up the flavor profile, here are some ideas:
- Sprinkle salt on top for an extra bit of saltiness.
- Add chili powder for a spicy version.
- Add garlic powder for a garlic cheese flavor.
I made a hole in the middle of the crackers to resemble Cheez-Its. You can also use a fork to make indents around the edges if you really want them to look like Cheez-Its, but that does take more work and I wanted to keep it simple. You can leave the hole out and you can cut the dough into other shapes as well.
More Easy Cracker Recipes
2 Ingredient Cheddar Crackers
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup superfine blanched almond flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add cheese to a large microwave-safe bowl. Heat cheese in the microwave until melted (about 20-30 seconds depending on the power of your microwave and how cold the cheese is). Stir until uniform and smooth.
- Working quickly, stir in the almond flour. Use either a large spoon or your hands to mix and knead the almond flour into your cheese dough. You want to mix until all of the almond flour is incorporated and you need to work quickly before the cheese stiffens up.
- Place dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll it out until it is between 1/16 and 1/8 inch thick. Remove the top layer of parchment paper. Slice dough into squares or shape of your choice. I did approximately 1 ¼ inch squares. Space the crackers on the parchment paper so they are 1/2 inch apart. Use a chopstick to make a hole in the center of each cracker.
- Place parchment paper with the crackers onto a baking sheet. Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until edges are brown and crackers are crispy. Let crackers cool before eating. Store crackers in an airtight container at room temperature.
- I added a little coarse salt to my crackers. You can either add the salt right before baking or you can add it right after they are done baking and before they cool (though some of the salt will fall off).
- Make sure you work quickly before the cheese stiffens. If you find your cheese has gotten cold and is too hard to roll out, you can melt the cheese again briefly in the microwave (about 10 seconds). Try not to do this more than once because repeated heating will start cooking the dough.
- If you have questions about ingredients or substitutions, please review the ingredients and substitution sections in the post where I discuss the ingredients in detail and potential substitutions.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.